PDA

View Full Version : Fun with complex building forms.

randolph.fritz102047
2006-06-04, 06:29 AM
It's a drum, about 200' in diameter, a bit wider a the top than at the bottom, and the top is sliced off at about 30 degrees. I can easily model the mass of it, even the cutout curtain system windows. I can put a wall on it, and a roof. And then....

Sloping walls can't have reveals, can't have lines drawn on them, can't even show a drafting pattern.

All right. I can roughly draft in the paneling system (metal, 2' courses, panels of varying width, averaging perhaps 20') with drafting lines. Can I paint the drum with the paneling system? I suppose I could build the panels as components (a huge amount of work, that might be better automated in AutoCAD). Suggestions, please!

sbrown
2006-06-04, 01:55 PM
set ref. planes where you want to draw score/panel lines around the drum, then use model lines in plan and select the ref. plane as the work plane and draw a circle in plan the size of your drum at each ref.plane. or do the whole thing with in place wall families and use those lines as sweep paths with voids or extrustions as necessary.