PDA

View Full Version : Footings

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 04:27 PM
2 questions:

1. Which is (do you find) better, create a Wall Sweep or use Foundation to create your footings?
2. How do you detail (or create) a Key when you show your footing/foundation wall join point?

Thanks guys!

aaronrumple
2006-06-06, 04:50 PM
2 questions:

1. Which is (do you find) better, create a Wall Sweep or use Foundation to create your footings?
2. How do you detail (or create) a Key when you show your footing/foundation wall join point?

Thanks guys!
I'm still using floors as footings for the most part. I find it a lot more flexible. I do however, use a wall sweep in the wall definition for some trench footings.

I just drop a detail componet (filled region) over the intersection of foundation and footing.

anthony.67953
2006-06-06, 05:24 PM
I find using walls as footing works best for me.

christo4robin
2006-06-06, 05:37 PM
If all of my footings are at one level and one depth, I'll use the footing object. If there is anything complex about the footings, different depths, different levels, or "fin" walls with a footing extension past the end of the fin, then I find I have the most control with floor objects, like Aaron.

Tom Weir
2006-06-06, 05:52 PM
Hi,
I use walls for footings mostly.
For the keys I join the wall and footing, then make a 2D filled region group with the bottom lines forming the key visible, the other lines invisible to cover up the model line. I insert that on larger sections as needed.

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

kyeric
2006-06-06, 05:55 PM
I think for simple structures with one footing height, then the Structural>Continuous>Footing is the way to go, but I agree that using a Floor type to designate different footings are much easier to modify and control.

If I understand correctly, to make the keyway you are talking about you just need to go to Edit Cut Profile and choose the option for Boundary between faces and choose the line between the bottom of the foundation wall and the top of the footing, create you keyway shape and viola!

Hope that helps you a little!

-Eric

Joef
2006-06-06, 06:05 PM
I use a foundation wall with a wall sweep as the footing about 90% of the time.

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-06, 06:08 PM
Tom, I've been wondering what happens on the Revit Structure side if you use a floor versus wall versus footing function to the analytical model. If you don't use the footing tool do you have to do anything special with analytical lines to use a floor, a wall?

aaronrumple
2006-06-06, 06:31 PM
Tom, I've been wondering what happens on the Revit Structure side if you use a floor versus wall versus footing function to the analytical model. If you don't use the footing tool do you have to do anything special with analytical lines to use a floor, a wall?
When that happens, I'll expect strutural to have the foundation/footing modeled properly. They can deal with the cleanup issues... ;-)

erikbjur
2006-06-06, 06:31 PM
I use the stock object right out of Revit. If it is a stemwall, I use a foundation wall element. If it is a continuous footing, I use a Revit Foundation. If I need a pad footing, I use the Revit Isolated Footing. You can use the join geometry to get things to clean up but I don't use it that often (pad footings inside of continuous footings are the only time I usually need to). Check out the attached file. Revit handles footings very well. They still need work however. For example, extending the footing past the end of a wall.

aaronrumple
2006-06-06, 06:39 PM
...They still need work however. For example, extending the footing past the end of a wall.
That's the deal breaker.

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 07:41 PM
I'm still using floors as footings for the most part. I find it a lot more flexible. I do however, use a wall sweep in the wall definition for some trench footings.

I just drop a detail componet (filled region) over the intersection of foundation and footing.

Thanks Aaron! Upon some trial and error I can see how using floors may be the most powerful way to go. I believe I'll give floors and walls both a shot, I'm currently better at wall manipulation than floor, yet I know I'll need to eventually master both so it will be good practice. Thanks again!

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 07:43 PM
I find using walls as footing works best for me.

I can see the strength in this, they are relatively easy to customize and easy to use as well. Thanks!

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 07:44 PM
If all of my footings are at one level and one depth, I'll use the footing object. I can see your point! Actually footing objects are the easiest of all if its a situation where they'll work.

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 07:48 PM
I use a foundation wall with a wall sweep as the footing about 90% of the time.

I've read of people using this method, unfortunately I'm not 100% comfortable with sweeps and creating them just yet (on my study agenda for this week). But, from the playing I've done (I was playing with their functions yesterday), I can see where this would work very well. Thanks for the tip!

Brian Myers
2006-06-06, 07:49 PM
Thanks everyone for the Tips, drawings and suggestions! I'll be handing out :beer: :beer: to everyone as my tap allows. :)

jfischer.110666
2006-06-14, 02:41 PM
In the sample drawing, how did you get the foundation to stick to the wall so that when you edit the wall the foundation moves with it and stays connected. I would like to be able to do mine that way as well. Thanks, Jason.

erikbjur
2006-06-14, 06:14 PM
If you are speaking in referance to the file I posted, I used the footing objects that came with revit. The footings stay attached to the walls that way. You could also use other methods as posted above and then lock them to the wall or grid line.