PDA

View Full Version : Rotate raster image

Joef
2006-06-06, 07:12 PM
I have a raster image that I need to rotate by a very small amount (quarter degree). When I do this the raster image turns completely black. What's up with this? In fact any rotation of the raster image leaves a large black rectangle. I thought this was one of the new features of 9.0?

Joef
2006-06-06, 11:39 PM
If someone out there could just try to rotate a jpg file and let me know if it works then I can find out if this is a problem I need to send off to support. Thanks,

Joe

Mr Spot
2006-06-06, 11:53 PM
If someone out there could just try to rotate a jpg file and let me know if it works then I can find out if this is a problem I need to send off to support. Thanks,

Joe
Rotates fine here, without blacking out...

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-06-07, 12:06 AM
Hi Joe,

no problem here either. Anything unusual about the jpg?
Can you upload it for testing.

Joef
2006-06-07, 12:16 AM
Our scanner only does tiffs and compressed tiffs (among other arcane formats) and Revit doesn't import tiffs so I bring it into Photoshop and save as a jpg. It's a huge (12mb) but I figure its 2006 and huge is OK in these modern times. I bring it into Revit and have problems. I'm at home now so I can't try it out, but I'll see if making the file smaller gets rid of the problem. Thanks for letting me know that it actually works. If it is purely file size this would be good to know.

Joe

Mr Spot
2006-06-07, 06:46 AM
Yeah i'd imagine it will be a file size issue. 12MB is a huge jpg!! Also make sure the image is RBG...

Solomon
2006-06-07, 07:18 AM
Some things I've found helpful working with raster images...

I usually downgrade the image to 72 dpi - this helps a lot with performance, since most of the raster images I receive are originally 200-300 dpi. Also - I crop the image down to only the things I actually need for design, which also helps with performance. And I make sure "overlay planes" are turned on - it refreshes the images quicker (at least on my computer...)

Cheers

Solomon

jarkko.rauvanlahti
2006-06-07, 08:02 AM
I have a raster image that I need to rotate by a very small amount (quarter degree). When I do this the raster image turns completely black. What's up with this? In fact any rotation of the raster image leaves a large black rectangle. I thought this was one of the new features of 9.0?

Tip for rotating only a very very small amount: first rotate it big amount one direction and then when you rotate it to the right angle the rotation angle is big enough that program can count it - works with all cad, image etc. programs.

Joef
2006-06-07, 04:08 PM
Smaller is definitely better. The smaller JPG file rotated as it should.

Joe