PDA

View Full Version : Floors and Walls

Brian Myers
2006-06-07, 04:26 PM
In Revit, how do you typically handle the way a floor meets your walls in wood frame construction (not balloon framing)?

The attached picture is just an old, hand drawn wall section used to demonstrate my issue. I'll also use the terminology it uses to avoid confusion.

When modeling, at places like the Sill where the floor rests and the 2x8 headers technically your wall sits on top of these floor objects. Yet its the wall that will contain the exterior materials (sheathing, siding, etc.) that make up your elevation. How do you normally handle this in the model? Do you bring your floor up to the walls and then "fudge" the wall sections to be correct during detailing? If so, would this cause any other issues we should be aware of (not drawing it "correctly" within the virtual model)?

Thanks again!

archjake
2006-06-07, 04:43 PM
If I understand the question correctly it seems that Revit will clean up the model correctly (allow the floor sheathing to extend to the inside face of the wall finish / sheathing) if the floor sheathing is set to a structure function in the floor editor. Just model the floor to extend into the wall and use the join tool.

Brian Myers
2006-06-07, 04:47 PM
If I understand the question correctly it seems that Revit will clean up the model correctly (allow the floor sheathing to extend to the inside face of the wall finish / sheathing) if the floor sheathing is set to a structure function in the floor editor. Just model the floor to extend into the wall and use the join tool.

Ah, the join tool! That's likely why it doesn't look correct on my model.
Thanks, I'll give it a try!

Brian Myers
2006-06-07, 05:24 PM
Yes, that worked! Once I had everything going to the right points (levels/outer edge of the walls) it all came together for a rather nice clean-up.