PDA

View Full Version : Walls Cut in Section - Best Practice

rlewis.82510
2006-06-07, 04:59 PM
Please see the attached PDF showing the issue in question. I need help in determining the best methods to use in creating my models. The illustration was created by placing the wall with a height extending to the "Low Roof". I then attached the top to the roof above to clean up the exterior elevations correctly. My problem is that I really only want the brick and rigid insulation to attach to the roof. The load bearing CMU should stop at bearing height. I modeled a truss to keep from having to draft it into every section. When I cut sections the truss I have modeled extends into the CMU and is hidden. If I use a filled region to block out the CMU, it also blocks out the truss.

Is it best to attach walls to the roof in early design stages and detach in later phases when you have settled out the heights?

Now that I know where my eave height is I can add sweeps to the top of the wall (inside it's definition). these sweeps can be extensions of the brick and insulation to the proper height while the cmu stops at the wall top.

I tried to do this by creating another wall type without the CMU and making the wall a "stacked Wall" but my doors and windows would not cut the wall properly.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-07, 05:23 PM
When placing two walls side-by-side to get your effect, use the Join Geometry tool across the 2 walls, then doors and windows will cut properly.

patricks
2006-06-07, 05:29 PM
I would unlock the brick and insulation layers at the top so you can stretch them up past the core layer. Then instead of attaching the wall to the roof, specify a height that will bring it in close, or if needed, overlap the roof and then join geometry between the wall and roof. In my opinion that will more correcly mimic the real-world conditions.

That is, if you're talking about roof eaves only. If you have any gable ends you'll have to attach those to the roof I guess.

brd
2006-06-07, 05:37 PM
I would use the "Edit Cut Profile" tool in that section view and cut back the CMU to the bearing height of the truss. The "Edit Cut Profile" tool is view specific though, it won't be changed across the entire model.

rlewis.82510
2006-06-07, 06:30 PM
Thank you. The "Edit Cut Profile" tool is the perfect solution. I was not aware of that tool. I guess it's time to go for advanced training classes. I've outpaced my basic classes and my hands-on training is falling short.

rlewis.82510
2006-06-07, 06:34 PM
I would unlock the brick and insulation layers at the top so you can stretch them up past the core layer. Then instead of attaching the wall to the roof, specify a height that will bring it in close, or if needed, overlap the roof and then join geometry between the wall and roof. In my opinion that will more correcly mimic the real-world conditions.

That is, if you're talking about roof eaves only. If you have any gable ends you'll have to attach those to the roof I guess.
Where can I "unlock" the layers of a compound wall?

rlewis.82510
2006-06-07, 06:40 PM
When placing two walls side-by-side to get your effect, use the Join Geometry tool across the 2 walls, then doors and windows will cut properly.
I tried this to see if it would work but got an error that the objets did not intersect.

crispin.schurr
2006-06-07, 09:56 PM
Where can I "unlock" the layers of a compound wall?

Go the properties of the wall, edit the structure, preview the vertical section in the edit assembly dialogue.
Click modify, go to the top edge of the layer(s) you wish to extend, click and unlock the padlock that appears. Close back out of everything with OK.

Now if you got to the properties dialogue of the wall "Top Extension Distance" will be available.
Put the distance from the top plate of the structural wall to the underside of the soffit lining here.

We use this technique a lot, as we try to model our structure the way it will be built, and we can be sure of the dimensions we are annotating. Also once you've set it up on one wall it is easy to copy around or "Match Type" without having to manually edit the linework in "Edit Cut Profiles"

Hope this helps

C

Scott D Davis
2006-06-07, 10:00 PM
I tried this to see if it would work but got an error that the objets did not intersect.
They must touch face-to-face.