PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new project from an old one with Navigator

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 12:19 PM
Hi folks.

I sometimes have projects that are very similar and I want to use a lot of the same drawings from the old one in the new project.

Is there an easy way to do this? This is what I did and it got weird on me.
I created a new project with the PN.
I copied the appropriate drawings into the correct new folders (constructs, views,sheets).

One problem I found was xref paths still pointed to the old project folder. I used the Reference Manager and it worked ok (to change paths).
Another problem I have is in the PN. All the drawings appear correctly, in their respective folders, except sheets. When I click on the sheets tab, my sheet numbers and names do not appear (sheet set view). When I click on "explorer view", they all show up. Weird. I want them to be in the sheet set view so I can move them and create new sheets.

What am I doing wrong? What is a better way to create new projects using older drawings, etc.??

Thanks!

Marv

richard.binning
2006-06-08, 01:19 PM
What version of software are you using Marv?

Available since the release of 2006 was the ability to create a new project based off an existing project. This enables you to set up common project types, complete with default project data, sheets, views, and standard content that will then be copied as a basis for the new project.

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 01:22 PM
What version of software are you using Marv?

Available since the release of 2006 was the ability to create a new project based off an existing project. This enables you to set up common project types, complete with default project data, sheets, views, and standard content that will then be copied as a basis for the new project.

Hi Richard,
I'm on ADT2006. What am I missing?

Thanks!
Marv

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 01:28 PM
Oh!!! COPY PROJECT STRUCTURE on the right-click......

I'll try it.

Thanks!!
Marv

richard.binning
2006-06-08, 01:30 PM
Yes or this...

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 02:41 PM
Yea...thanks.

What do you do about reusing the drawings in the previous project(s)? (xref's, etc)

Marv

richard.binning
2006-06-08, 02:49 PM
If you store the apj file within the structure of the file location, you can copy the entire tree to a new location and then open and activate the project (apj) file at the new location. At that point, you should be prompted to repath the entire project.

A thought:
Set up a cartoon set of drawings from an existing project by copying the entire project tree to a new location. Activate the project in the Project Browser and accept the repathing. Now methodically go through every file deleting all entities and leaving just a rectangle to represent the limits of the entities that might appear in a viewport. Perhaps a string of text could also reside within the rectangle to instruct the user what belongs within the rectangle. When you are done, you would have a complete project that is ready to be duplicated. The benefit is that all the sheets and views are already xreffed, linked, and coordinated. All that remains is to being creating the entities within the appropriate constructs. The views and sheets would start to be filled out as the entities are created. Is this what you are looking for?

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 03:34 PM
If you store the apj file within the structure of the file location, you can copy the entire tree to a new location and then open and activate the project (apj) file at the new location. At that point, you should be prompted to repath the entire project.

A thought:
Set up a cartoon set of drawings from an existing project by copying the entire project tree to a new location. Activate the project in the Project Browser and accept the repathing. Now methodically go through every file deleting all entities and leaving just a rectangle to represent the limits of the entities that might appear in a viewport. Perhaps a string of text could also reside within the rectangle to instruct the user what belongs within the rectangle. When you are done, you would have a complete project that is ready to be duplicated. The benefit is that all the sheets and views are already xreffed, linked, and coordinated. All that remains is to being creating the entities within the appropriate constructs. The views and sheets would start to be filled out as the entities are created. Is this what you are looking for?

Richard -

Here is what I'm setting up as a "cartoon" template. This particular one is for plans and elevations sheets. I have another for sections and all details sheets and one for constructs.
My biggest challenge is the PN. I have attached a sample of the plans sheet template. I have made a sheet set with this one also. I'm not real sure how the sheet set navigator and the project navigator work together yet either.

Maybe I can call you after you look at this sample dwg.

Thanks Mr Prez!

Marv

Marv Muston
2006-06-08, 03:38 PM
Sorry Richard...here's the dwg.

marv

warnoe uk
2006-06-15, 03:36 PM
marv,

the drawing you have attached has serveral tabs with different sheets

do you want me to put your sheets as a ADT project sheets using Project Nav?

I've set up a standard template that we use all i have to do is modify it with your sheets instead of ours.

Will ADT 2006 be ok? PLMK as it should take less than 1 hour to do.

Marv Muston
2006-06-15, 03:42 PM
marv,

the drawing you have attached has serveral tabs with different sheets

do you want me to put your sheets as a ADT project sheets using Project Nav?

I've set up a standard template that we use all i have to do is modify it with your sheets instead of ours.

Will ADT 2006 be ok? PLMK as it should take less than 1 hour to do.

Hi. Thanks!
I have done it already in PN. But, I wouldn't mind seeing you do it to make sure I did it correctly. It seems to be working fine so far.

Thanks!
Marv