PDA

View Full Version : Parenthesis in parameters??

jrichardson
2006-06-08, 12:49 PM
If I were to put parenthesis ( ) in some of my parameter names... Is it still possible to put the parameter name into a formula to get a value? Is there a character set that can be applied so it does not thing the ( ) are part of the formula but the name. Or should I not use parenthesis?

thanks,
jamie

Elmo
2006-06-08, 02:30 PM
As far as I can tell it doesn't allow it. When I try a simple formula it says that it is an incorrect parameter.

DaveP
2006-06-08, 05:05 PM
Hey Jamie. Good to see you're working hard!

No, you can't use parenthesis.
See the attached error message

jrichardson
2006-06-08, 05:43 PM
Good thing I caught this prior to getting to involved with my shared parameter and in-house family setup. My original thinking was to put (ERA) in front of all of our custom/standard in-house created info. This way I could tell what is Revit created and what is not. The parenthesis made it stand out.

It obviously is not a good idea to continue on this way with parameter, but any reason why I could not continue using (ERA) for other items like object styles, line styles, line patterns, region fills, materials, etc.

thanks,
jamie

Elmo
2006-06-09, 06:15 AM
As far as I can tell you can use (ERA) for ll th instances you mentioned.

DaveP
2006-06-09, 01:07 PM
put (ERA) in front
My convention has been to put an _underscore in front of our customization (Parameters, Family names, Line Patterns, etc). That not only separates them, but it also makes our stuff float to the top of the alphabetic lists. (And we can hope that soon we'll be able to organize, or at least alphabetize, our parameter lists soon).

See you at the next MNRUG meeting