PDA

View Full Version : Grids - Must be an old wish

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-05, 12:21 AM
I'd love curved grid lines.
I'd love multi-segmented grid lines.

I wouldn't have thought that segmented grid lines would be cool but my current project has two building wings set at a fixed angle to each other. Each wing has an identical structure.

The engineer designing same said, "I want these grid lines to turn and continue to the other wing so grid line 24 in part B is the same grid line 24 in part C". This way he could dimension one wing and have done both, the old "two birds deal".

Seemed logical, but the only way to do it is to create masking annotation tags and cover up the "24b" grid line I created for the "other" wing. It appears to be the same but I've created an annotation issue to chase if things move or get re-designed. Not much risk now...cause I'm past it but it sure would have been nice.

Martin P
2003-06-05, 08:07 AM
Controlling their visibility by type is an old wish of mine, I hate to have to select individual grids to switch the visibilty off, I always want to switch off an entire "type" like the wall grids, or steel grids, or roof grids.

Wes Macaulay
2003-06-06, 01:36 PM
I probably would have lived with a grid 1 on one side and a grid 1' on the other... if the engineer could have lived with that!

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-06, 02:24 PM
Me too...but he didn't like that...picky picky... :D

Phil Read
2006-06-25, 01:46 AM
Well - you have to be careful with this...but here goes:

Continuous grid lines are not common - but sometimes very necessary. When this happens you may find it helpful to take the "label" out of the grid annotation family and just put regular text in there.

Assigning this "fixed" value for the grid allows you to see the same "value" in many views for what appears to be continuous grid lines. The instance values of the grid still need to be different (so the grids are actually 1, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc.).

Image / File attached. You'll see that the first part of this grid line uses the grid bubble with the standard label. The rest of the grids use a fixed value (assigned to the custom grid line as a "fixed" annotation) so all the sections read as with the same number.

-Phil

zanzibarbob7
2006-06-25, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the tip Phil. Helps keep things clean.