PDA

View Full Version : Section Is Too Long For the Sheet

dgreen.49364
2006-06-09, 06:06 PM
I'm not quite sure how to handle this neatly. I have a section that is too long for the sheet. I can't drop the scale down any lower. In the old days (AutoCAD) it would be simple matter of copying my viewport and stretching both viewports to continue the section below on the sheet, throw on a couple of match lines and be done.

I can't figure out a clean way to handle this in Revit. What to do?

Thanks.

sbrown
2006-06-09, 06:10 PM
Click on the crop region and you will see little blue break marks click one of those, it will break the section so you can crop out the middle of the section and then you'll see arrows to pull it together.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-09, 06:47 PM
I think what you need to do is dupliacte the view, then use the crop region to cut away the information past the match line. Now with the dupliacted view you will have a left and a right that you can place on different sheets.

Sbrown method will work if you want to "cut" information out of the middle and shorten the elevation or section. my method is more like seperating the view into 2.

Justin

dgreen.49364
2006-06-09, 06:48 PM
I've looked at that but I was hoping for an answer that doesn't require me to remove a chunk of the section. However, I believe that is what I'm going to have to do.

dgreen.49364
2006-06-09, 06:54 PM
Justin, that was exactly the answer I was looking for.

Thanks.

LRaiz
2006-06-09, 08:07 PM
Sbrown method will work if you want to "cut" information out of the middle and shorten the elevation or section. my method is more like seperating the view into 2.

Justin
You method is exactly making 2 views with all the consequences. Both views will appear in the browser, they will have their own tittles, their own section lines (on top of each other) with separate section heads. There will be a potential for mistakenly modifying one of them and having two views have different visibility settings or different cut planes. User will need to take responsibility for dealing with all these issues.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-09, 08:20 PM
You method is exactly making 2 views with all the consequences. Both views will appear in the browser, they will have their own tittles, their own section lines (on top of each other) with separate section heads. There will be a potential for mistakenly modifying one of them and having two views have different visibility settings or different cut planes. User will need to take responsibility for dealing with all these issues.
True enough. Using browser organization they could be grouped together in the same folder under building sections so that at least the are located next to each other.

Is there any other way to do it? I can't think of any other way to create the sections so that you can split it up without loosing the information in the middle and not having seperate views.

Thanks

Justin

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-09, 08:31 PM
Change the scale so it fits on the sheet and use enlarged sections to show what can't be seen well...

dgreen.49364
2006-06-09, 08:40 PM
I'm at the smallest scale I dare go for a building section 1/8"=1'-0". Anything smaller is pointless. I used Justin's method and yes, I had to deal with a few clean-up items. The nice thing is that if a week from now I decide that this isn't the way to go...it will take me all of two minutes to switch to the other method of cutting out a piece of the section.

Thanks everybody for the input.

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-10, 04:12 AM
Bit of a restatement of previous...

Draw two sections (or copy the first so it can align exactly), one from middle to right the other middle to left. Turn off the tails in the "middle". Now you can place two sections on a sheet that can overlap each other a little bit so you don't lose anything in the middle.
Use a new grid type for a matchline that doesn't include a grid bubble and alter the linestyle so it is different from a grid. It will be visible in all views for coordination.

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-10, 04:22 AM
I'm at the smallest scale I dare go for a building section 1/8"=1'-0". Anything smaller is pointless.

Just reminded me that when I worked at HOK building stadia our building sections were at 1/32"=1'-0"... now that's small!

I think that what others are proposing is the better solution though I think that, instead of the section lines being in the same plane I might consider offsetting them a bit... something about having them aligned but not the same bothers me...