PDA

View Full Version : Stair to Floor Connection

msg4amer
2006-06-09, 06:52 PM
I typically draw stairs with the "End with Riser" option off. I find that it looks more correct in section view.

The problem I'm having is that the outline of the tread that is level with the floor shows in the plan veiw; see attached.

Other than using the Line tool to remove these lines how else can I get rid of them.

Rhythmick
2006-06-13, 02:23 PM
The outline is there because the tread is there. If you really want the first tread flush with the floor, (not standard in my book), why do you not want that to show in plan? The floor break will show in those spots also (and needs to, doesn't it?).
The linetool clean up seems a logical method to accomplish what you are doing and I'm not aware of another.

ford347
2006-06-13, 02:44 PM
The linework tool seems like your best bet since you are showing geometry in the stair that is there, so if you don't want it there, but it is, then the only way to fake it is the linework tool as far as I know.

As to the application, this method is actually quite effective in the field as far as wood framing is concerned, as long as you have the run to accomodate it. It is effective because it ties the subfloor directly to the stairs, which is nice, and it keeps the stairs up above ceiling line, which allows you to directly attach to the stringers to the head-off, which has to be there anyway. If you drop it, invariably you have to drop a structural member with it, or use extra hardware, and deal with extra pick-up work in the ceiling plane, not a big deal, I just did one like that to accomodate a limited run condition, but this can be an effective way of framing. Just my two cents....

msg4amer
2006-06-13, 04:23 PM
It's not that I want the first tread to be flush with the floor. What I'm looking to do - as Josh said, is to tie the entire depth of the stringer to the floor - as shown in section 1. If I check the "End with Riser" option in the stair properties, only part of the stringer attaches to the floor; see section 2. As far as I understand this is not the correct method.

Rhythmick
2006-06-13, 05:17 PM
only part of the stringer attaches to the floor; see section 2. As far as I understand this is not the correct method.
In your situation without a full stringer I would typically apply a peice of 3/4" plywood or ? to the header and have it hang down enough to pick up the stringer heels.
Another method which may be code dictated is to tie the stringers to the floor header with a metal strap that will fasten from the underside of the stringer up the face cut with a tag long enough to nail to the header and preferably bent over and nailed through the top of the floor into the header also.

yishida
2006-07-27, 12:27 AM
I HAVE THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM WITH CAST IN PLACE CONCRETE STAIRS LANDING ON CAST IN PLACE CONCRETE FLOORS. I would certainly not want that one line to show up and I can't join geometry. Any solution / explanation????

jhalaby
2006-07-27, 12:29 AM
The outline is there because the tread is there. If you really want the first tread flush with the floor, (not standard in my book), why do you not want that to show in plan? The floor break will show in those spots also (and needs to, doesn't it?).
The linetool clean up seems a logical method to accomplish what you are doing and I'm not aware of another.

I am having the same problem. And I don't want those lines to show in plan because it is a cast-in-place concrete stair, and therefore it is monolithic with the landing, no joint, no material change, = NO LINE!

Anyone know of a work-around that does not involve the linework tool?