PDA

View Full Version : toilet partitions

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-09, 10:42 PM
What is the best family type to make a toilet partition? I was thinking plumbing fixture, but not sure. I have not made many families that fall in the middle, so i am looking for some input.

Thanks

Justin

sbrown
2006-06-09, 10:48 PM
Revit has allready made toilet partitions for you, they are in specialty equipment, if you don't have them, go to the web library.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-09, 11:41 PM
thanks, i didn't see them in the imperial content so i thought that i would ask.

Justin

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-10, 03:56 AM
And now for something different: In some cases it is simpler to sketch thin walls for partitions and doors for their doors. The big problem with this approach is bloody thick looking walls.

With RB9's filter feature you can alter the appearance of toilet partition identified walls so they use a different lineweight for cut. For doors you can do the same sort of thing. It is a little more fluid/flexible and probably best suited for early design perhaps favoring components when things settle down.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-11, 04:20 PM
This is the way that i used to do toilet partions in ADT. i was thinking the same thing here, and i think your idea for filters might be worth a look.

THanks for the new ideas.

Justin

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-11, 07:01 PM
Just be sure to not make them Room Bounding :smile:

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-11, 08:40 PM
yet another good tip!

Thanks

Justin

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-11, 10:41 PM
In ADT the doors would be on the same layer as the toilet partitions and you'd filter them out in the schedule by layer... in Revit, since there are no layers, what would you think would be the best way to filter them out of the schedule? Can you filter walls by Room Bounding? That would work... I'd rather not make yet another parameter to keep track of...

Steve_Stafford
2006-06-12, 06:48 AM
...what would you think would be the best way to filter them out of the schedule?Filter by Type Name and use the word Toilet in the name...such as Toilet Partition. Same for the filter to override the lineweight of the walls. You could use description or comments too. If you give them a specific assembly code you could use that too.

pirwin.158624
2008-05-23, 06:43 PM
I have a slightly different question. I have created 1" thick walls that I am using for toilet partitions. I have made them non-room bounding. When i close that view and then open it again, even though the walls are not bounding, they room boundary has now reshaped itself so that they are. When I check the properties of these partition walls "room bounding" is still unclicked. If i make them bounding again and then non-bounding, it fixes it...until the next time I close that view and then open it again.

Calvn_Swing
2008-05-29, 04:29 PM
Only two problems.

1.) The OOTB partitions look and work like ****.

2.) Specialty Equipment does not cut in sections. Makes bathroom elevations darn near impossible.

We've created our own custom partitions, but alas they're still specialty equipment and have to be for estimating, etc... So, I made the bloody doors, front panels, side panels, etc... on their own subcategories so I could turn them off in interior elevation and section views as needed. ****** workaround.

I wish the developers would make all families equal on this one. Let us bloody decide what we want to cut in section or not. Makes doing custom railings you can't do with the railing tool a pain in the arse too. Don't even get me started on specialty equipment families doing level hopping...

Revit has allready made toilet partitions for you, they are in specialty equipment, if you don't have them, go to the web library.

Scott Womack
2008-05-29, 05:01 PM
We cheated. We opened the out of the box, saved to a new name, changed the catagory to Generic. Then opened the original, erased 3D Geometry, nested the generic version into the specialty equipment versions. Now, when this revised file is in a project the Toilet partitions cut properly. In this process we also "upgraded" the partitions by nesting in toilet accessories, setting formulas that prevent the length from being made smaller than code allows, have a toilet fixture nested in, etc.

jcoe
2008-05-29, 07:04 PM
I've taken a different approach to these at our office. The toilet partitions,pilasters and doors are all separate families. This allows the user the freedom to design their partition layout freely. I created the partition and pilaster as Generic Models_Line Based and then changed the category to Specialty equpment. Essentially, I took the "kit-of-parts" method when it came to these families. The only drawback to this is that they lack a head rail, but this can be doctored in elevation.

I do agree that we need to have specialty equipment categories of families with the ability to be cut. But in this case, I usually do elevations of my toilet paritions, not sections.