PDA

View Full Version : ugh! door trim

..shaner
2006-06-12, 07:40 PM
hey, sorry for 2 questions in one day but i have another problem

how do you make a reference line that says, "this is the outside edge of the wall" in a door family? i need to put exterior trim on the outside of the wall and i had different thickness of walls. one wall is siding and the trim works and is on the outside edge of the wall, but where i have brick veneer the trim is inside the brick

what is happening is that the wall in the family seems to have a wall thickness and its keeping that thinkness rather than taking the new adjusted thickness from my walls.

please help this is very confusing to me, parameters and reference lines are driving me up the wall

sbrown
2006-06-12, 07:52 PM
open your family, in plan view, click ref. plane, pick the ext. face of your wall and lock it. Now dimension everthing off that ref. plane.

..shaner
2006-06-12, 08:02 PM
open your family, in plan view, click ref. plane, pick the ext. face of your wall and lock it. Now dimension everthing off that ref. plane.

HOW DOES IT KNOW THAT IS THE OUTSIDE EDGE?

DOES IT JUST KNOW? IF SO CAN I DO 2, ONE ON THE INSIDE AND ONE ON THE OUTSIDE?

Matt Brennan
2006-06-12, 08:51 PM
Like Scott said, it is based off the reference plane. If you create a new one and in it's properties you set it as a "strong reference" it should work. You may have to hit your tab key in order to snap to it though. Was this what you were looking for?

sbrown
2006-06-13, 12:46 PM
There is a big note on the plan view that says exterior in the family editor. And yes you can do one for the interior too. Here is my default window template. You'll notice I use a ref plane on the exteior face of the wall, then a ref. plane for teh ext face of frame, with an inset parameter, then I pretty much build the window sep from the opening, and the trim based on the wall, so the window can sit anywhere. YOu may want to change the inset parameter to an instance parameter.