PDA

View Full Version : Mirroring Text Objects with Fields

Rico
2006-06-14, 07:51 PM
Okay, so I've got this tiny issue that I'm not sure that there's a solution to ...

I created a DB. In this DB there are 2 editable attributes (Room Name and Room Number). In this DB there is also one Mtext string. This Mtext object contains 2 fields layered one over top of the other. The fields display square footage and square meter(age). I also added flips (horizontal and vertical)

The block works fine.

I handed the block to the requesting co-worker who proceeded to "mirror" it. He entered MIRROR and tried to ... erm ... MIRROR the block. Everything went over fine ... except for the Mtext with fields. It mirrored backwards. Mirrtext is set to 0

Is there a reason for this? Do fields not operate under the same laws that attributes and text does? Is there a switch for this?

Furthermore, when I select the block, I am able to modify one attribute's text size. But when I switch attributes in the enhanced attribute editor, I am not able to edit the second attributes size.

Why is that? Is that something that is unique to DBs or is it universal for all blocks within AutoCAD?

I've attached the block for your viewing pleasure.

Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone? ....

whdjr
2006-06-14, 09:04 PM
I have had the same issues with mirroring and I tell the uses to use the flips in the block and not the mirror command.

Basically it treats the fields as mtext in a block, which will mirror incorrectly. One way I have worked around this issue is to make an attribute with a field and it will mirror properly.

whdjr
2006-06-14, 09:16 PM
Rico,

Try this:

Rico
2006-06-14, 09:30 PM
I have had the same issues with mirroring and I tell the uses to use the flips in the block and not the mirror command.

Basically it treats the fields as mtext in a block, which will mirror incorrectly. One way I have worked around this issue is to make an attribute with a field and it will mirror properly.
i tried your version but it is still not mirroring properly ...

I also made an attribute and added a field to it and it is still not mirroring ..... is there something I'm missing?

By mirroring, I'm not talking about the Flip parameters available in DBs. I'm talking about the Mirror command in AutoCAD ....

whdjr
2006-06-14, 09:47 PM
Rico,

In the block I posted go into the block editor and select the two fields/attributes and change the value of 'Constant' to "no". Save it and then attsync it and it should mirror fine then.

Rico
2006-06-14, 10:20 PM
Rico,

In the block I posted go into the block editor and select the two fields/attributes and change the value of 'Constant' to "no". Save it and then attsync it and it should mirror fine then.
If I change the "Constant" to no, then it loses the ability to calculate the area. and attsync does not work on dynamic blocks.

Chris.N
2006-06-14, 10:36 PM
It would appear that 'editable' attributes follow the rules of 'MIRRTEXT', but uneditable text and embedded text in blocks are objects of Cad Gremlins....

'Constant' attributes are of the latter group...... (and dumb, too...) *grumble*

Chris.N
2006-06-14, 10:37 PM
If I change the "Constant" to no, then it loses the ability to calculate the area. and attsync does not work on dynamic blocks.come on Robin, the BATTMAN mobile works just fine for mine... just select the actual block name and click the Batt 'SYNC' Button...

Rico
2006-06-14, 11:39 PM
come on Robin, the BATTMAN mobile works just fine for mine... just select the actual block name and click the Batt 'SYNC' Button...I'll try it tomorrow. I'm done for today. Hey did you guys notice only wil, me and chris have posted here?
Wiseguy eh? (*nyuk nyuk nyuk*)

whdjr
2006-06-15, 12:19 PM
I'll try it tomorrow. I'm done for today. Hey did you guys notice only wil, me and chris have posted here?
Wiseguy eh? (*nyuk nyuk nyuk*)More like a Blockhead......:?:p

Rico
2006-06-15, 12:44 PM
come on Robin, the BATTMAN mobile works just fine for mine... just select the actual block name and click the Batt 'SYNC' Button...
Ok new day ... SAME problem ... BATTMAN does not work for me ... tried SYNC and selected the block, but the calculations for the block do not seem to work. it seems like they become "inactive" when the "constant" variable is set to no ... maybe there's a switch or something?

Chris.N
2006-06-15, 01:01 PM
Ok new day ... SAME problem ... BATTMAN does not work for me ... tried SYNC and selected the block, but the calculations for the block do not seem to work. it seems like they become "inactive" when the "constant" variable is set to no ... maybe there's a switch or something?i noticed the 'inactive' part, too.... only thing i can think for you do do and have it work somewhat like you need is have the 'SF' attributes editable, but put 'DO NOT EDIT THIS' in the ATTEDIT dialog prompt line. maybe one of your fellow drafters actually read those things and pay attention to them? ;)

Rico
2006-06-15, 01:13 PM
i noticed the 'inactive' part, too.... only thing i can think for you do do and have it work somewhat like you need is have the 'SF' attributes editable, but put 'DO NOT EDIT THIS' in the ATTEDIT dialog prompt line. maybe one of your fellow drafters actually read those things and pay attention to them? ;)
try it. i betcha it won't work. :razz: as they are, right now, the attributes are editable. but if you change the constant to YES, then the attributes cannot be edited.

yeah, they sorta pay attention to those things.

but that's not the original issue. My problem is that it looks like fields do not operate under the same laws that text objects and attributes do. I can't mirror them and have them come out looking normal.

it's so backwards, cuz if I set the Constant to YES, it calculates the area, but it does not mirror ....

if I set the constant to NO, it mirrors properly, but it does not calculate the area .....

:( damned if I do, damned if I don't ....

any other ideas??

Chris.N
2006-06-15, 01:47 PM
i'll try again later, k? i have my ideas to test.... but first..... make money for a while.... ;)

whdjr
2006-06-15, 02:20 PM
it's so backwards, cuz if I set the Constant to YES, it calculates the area, but it does not mirror ....

if I set the constant to NO, it mirrors properly, but it does not calculate the area .....

:( damned if I do, damned if I don't ....I can't believe you actually want your cake AND eat it too ... the nerve of him ... Chris do you belive that BlockHead?...:lol: I hope we get this resolved I could use this in some situations.

Rico
2006-06-15, 02:37 PM
I can't believe you actually want your cake AND eat it too ... the nerve of him ... Chris do you belive that BlockHead?...:lol: I hope we get this resolved I could use this in some situations.
Hey man, my poodle's the one demanding this, not me. :P

Chris.N
2006-06-15, 06:33 PM
Hey man, my poodle's the one demanding this, not me. :POk, i worked on it and thought i had a poodle-pleaser of a block and was about to request a big smooch (from Katherine Heigl...) but then did a mirror, and my world came crashing down.....

Rico, have you tried using an 'XY' parameter to negate the need for a mirror? you can have grips on all four cornours of your block, and wouldn't need to mirror...

Rico
2006-06-15, 06:54 PM
Ok, i worked on it and thought i had a poodle-pleaser of a block and was about to request a big smooch (from Katherine Heigl...) but then did a mirror, and my world came crashing down.....

Rico, have you tried using an 'XY' parameter to negate the need for a mirror? you can have grips on all four cornours of your block, and wouldn't need to mirror...
well, even simpler than that would be something like .... adding points to the corners and assigning a stretch command to each point. I've tried this with a 6 and 7 sided polygon and it works. the thing is that the co-worker who is using this block sets up a group of 9 or 10 of them and wants the ability to mirror them - to not have to do that part manually. that is where the original request is coming from. He wants to know if it's possible to mirror the blocks and have the area calculator stay justified and aligned properly - he wants something easier or maybe more intuitive. I told him that it's not possible but that I'd explore the options ........

I don't much care, man. I'm smart (and you guys are too) and we can work around these limitations, but OTHER people need to be spoonfed. And that's the purpose of this thread. Trying to figure out a way to advance things and make them more intuitive.

Chris.N
2006-06-15, 07:10 PM
well, even simpler than that would be something like .... adding points to the corners and assigning a stretch command to each point.
<snip>

I don't much care, man. I'm smart (and you guys are too) and we can work around these limitations, but OTHER people need to be spoonfed. And that's the purpose of this thread. Trying to figure out a way to advance things and make them more intuitive.i did that, but didn't post it when the mirror failed... have you noticed that when you do that, you also have to add .5'move' actions to each end? first time i used a double-ended parameter, i couldn't figure out why my 'centered' object weren't moving when using the second node... :lol:

:screwy: me...

Rico
2006-06-15, 07:37 PM
i did that, but didn't post it when the mirror failed... have you noticed that when you do that, you also have to add .5'move' actions to each end? first time i used a double-ended parameter, i couldn't figure out why my 'centered' object weren't moving when using the second node... :lol:

:screwy: me...
yeah I picked up on that right away. I'm like: Chris will mock me if I miss that. Guess I can mock YOU now hahaha.

Chris.N
2006-06-15, 08:36 PM
yeah I picked up on that right away. I'm like: Chris will mock me if I miss that. Guess I can mock YOU now hahaha.:roll: it wasn't a RECENT observation, thankyouverymuch.... :p