PDA

View Full Version : HUGE file? Slow as well

jeddafish
2006-06-15, 06:23 PM
Our office is currently in CD on a 210,000sf high school. The Revit file varies between 105 and 126MB depending on the compacting status. Save to central times are about 10-12 minutes (yes we've timed them). We have crashes more than once a day.
What kind of normality are we working with here?
Our other two projects are both around 75MB file size and no problems. Does Revit max out at around 100MB and 6 or so users?
--jeff

Wes Macaulay
2006-06-15, 06:46 PM
Our problems with large files are with more than four users. I suppose it's that the software is having trouble synchronizing the local and central files since that many users can create a lot of changes in short order.

You may also be getting low on RAM and crashing if Revit runs out. Bump yourselves up to 4Gb for files that size and try using the Windows XP 3Gb bootswitch.

jeddafish
2006-06-15, 07:13 PM
You may also be getting low on RAM and crashing if Revit runs out. Bump yourselves up to 4Gb for files that size and try using the Windows XP 3Gb bootswitch.

We are using XP pro with 2Gb of ram with the 3Gb switch turned on. My understanding of this was that windows gets less and Revit will get more even though there is only 2Gb physical RAM. One machine is unstable with this switch--5 others working well.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-15, 08:14 PM
Do you have the model broken down into user-defined worksets? And are you only opening the required worksets (a partial open of the model) for each user? Or is each user opening the entire local model file everytime they work on it?

Selective opening of defined worksets will definately help performance on a large model

How's your network? Is the connection to the file server a 100 megabit connection? Several factors come into play with long save-to-central times.

jeddafish
2006-06-15, 09:58 PM
...are you only opening the required worksets (a partial open of the model) for each user?
How's your network? Is the connection to the file server a 100 megabit connection?

I find it very hard to convince the users to only open a bit of the model. They all say they are working on "everything" so "I must open all worksets". I bang my head against the wall on that one all the time. I'll keep trying to divide the model up into logical portions.
We do have 100 megabit cards, switches and Cat5 cabling. Does anybody have an apples to apples comparison of 1 gigabit to 100 megabit connections?
--jeff