PDA

View Full Version : Stacked wall or curtain wall approach

m.thomas
2006-06-15, 07:57 PM
I'm looking for advice on the best approach to model 2 storey repeating bay as per attached image.
This 3metre wide bay will be repeated approx 80 times across the scheme.

Im in at the deep end on delivering this project as my first in Revit.

My 2 ideas are

1- Create entire 2 storey 'wall' as curtain wall with blockwork / cedar areas as wall panels full width. Each individual terracotta tile would be a curtain panel also. For windows I would create a curtain wall - window family so that they could be tagged as windows.

2- Use stacked walls with 3 zones, blockwork to bottom, terracotta to middle, cedar to top. Then I would place custom window family into wall for desired effect.

Bearing in mind the large number of bays I would need to repeat this situation does anyone have any advice on pros and cons.

If I use groups with the curtain wall option will this cause me problems?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

DanielleAnderson
2006-06-15, 08:26 PM
I'm looking for advice on the best approach to model 2 storey repeating bay as per attached image.
This 3metre wide bay will be repeated approx 80 times across the scheme.

Im in at the deep end on delivering this project as my first in Revit.

My 2 ideas are

1- Create entire 2 storey 'wall' as curtain wall with blockwork / cedar areas as wall panels full width. Each individual terracotta tile would be a curtain panel also. For windows I would create a curtain wall - window family so that they could be tagged as windows.

2- Use stacked walls with 3 zones, blockwork to bottom, terracotta to middle, cedar to top. Then I would place custom window family into wall for desired effect.

Bearing in mind the large number of bays I would need to repeat this situation does anyone have any advice on pros and cons.

If I use groups with the curtain wall option will this cause me problems?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I am a big fan of using curtain walls for this kind of thing. It takes a little bit of work to get all the curtain grids in the right locations, but it looks really good when you're done. I wouldn't separate each terracotta tile into its own curtain wall panel, but create a hatch pattern of that tile pattern (adding that many grids will be a pain). The other thing you could do, if this is a module that you are repeating, is create the entire module as a curtain wall panel and then insert it into a curtain wall as a panel. There are lots of ways to do this, so you might do a quick test of a few different ideas in a separate model and just see how fast it takes to create each option, and then whether or not that option gives you what you want in elevation, plan & section.
That's my 2 cents anyway.

dpollard909366
2006-06-15, 08:41 PM
Curtain Wall no question.

This is a great example of using a revit "curtain wall" as a wall system that has a consistent order to it. Sometimes I wish they would rename it 'grid wall' because it is much more dynamic than just building curtain walls with mullions as we know and typically use the term 'curtain wall'.

I would build the curtain wall place the walls types in the grid, place the windows in the grid just like you said, group it, and copy it.

I wouldn't ever mirror the group, and I would even be careful about rotating the group. In fact if you use groups, look through some of the AUGI postings to make sure you don't fall into any grouping pitfalls that can make them unstable and goofy.

good luck, and good thinking!

-dp

dpollard909366
2006-06-15, 08:46 PM
oh yeah and I totally agree with danielle, I wouldn't make a curtain panel for each tile. Just make a wall type with the tile as a hatch pattern. (you can move the hatch pattern with the align tool) Its easy to go to far with modeling in revit cause its so fun, but just keep it simple so that the model shows what you need to show.

m.thomas
2006-06-15, 08:47 PM
Thank you both for your quick and insightful replies.
I'ts given me the confidence to go for the curtain wall approach... I was nervous as revit is so new to me. revits so simple...yet so complicated knowing which tool to use if you know what I mean.

Thanks.

dpollard909366
2006-06-15, 09:18 PM
I know what you mean, the only way to learn and get used to it is to do it I think. It gets easier, more fun, and less frustrating the more projects you do in it.... don't worry!

dpollard909366
2006-06-15, 09:19 PM
... and yes, less is more.

DanielleAnderson
2006-06-15, 10:52 PM
Curtain Wall no question.

This is a great example of using a revit "curtain wall" as a wall system that has a consistent order to it. Sometimes I wish they would rename it 'grid wall' because it is much more dynamic than just building curtain walls with mullions as we know and typically use the term 'curtain wall'.
-dp

I completely agree here. I would call it something like "system wall". I mention this everytime I teach someone about curtain walls. They are a highly under-utilized tool in Revit (in my opinion) and they can help you do some pretty cool things quickly. Another benefit I have discovered is that when doing precast, you can not only schedule the windows, but you can schedule the precast panels as well using a curtain wall schedule. Awesome stuff. Here's an example of something I did using the curtain wall tool. And keep in mind this building is still in very early schematics...

m.thomas
2006-06-16, 08:29 AM
Danielle,
Nice. I guess the entire facade consists of curtain wall elements.

David Conant
2006-06-16, 02:13 PM
Many people forget that curtain walls are more than gridded glass and metal panel constructions. The more precise definition of a curtain wall is a non-structural cladding system supported by an independent structural system. Most buildings of any size today are built with curtain walls regardless of the exterior aspect. Even those that appear to have continuous site built facades are generally hung from a structural frame and modularized by construction and expansion jointing.
The curtain wall tool was designed to be flexible enough to accommodate a range of wall constructions. The consistent part is a modularized design. The modules themselves can be thought of as panels: shop assembled modules brought to the site, stick built: panels and mullions assembled on site, or as chunks of standard wall constructed in place. Revit supports these different interpretations by allowing a range of approaches. You can define panel families that represent a simple panel that will be bordered by mullions when placed, define panel families that include their own internal grids and mullions to represent a shop built module, or place wall types in grid cells "on site" with or without intervening joint constructions. Mullions are optional and can be interpreted in a wide range of ways: structural sealant, extruded metal glazing system, or pre manufactured expansion joints.

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-16, 03:49 PM
good point. I hate to say it, but when i used ADT i uesd curtain walls for everything. seating, parking, walls, window, etc. In REVIT and ADT they offer the most flexibility to make just about any of your design ideas come out quick and easy. Since it is based on a modules any repeating elements are easily created as curatin walls.

Justin