PDA

View Full Version : Linking Revit models

msg4amer
2004-06-03, 08:43 PM
I’m starting a new project which contains two buildings and I’m wondering what the best way to handle this within Revit is? Is it by creating 3 files, 1 for the site model, 1 for each building and then using the model linking feature? I’m interested to know of any limitations, in terms of construction documentation, anyone has run into while using file linking?
Some of the limitations I can foresee by having 3 different model files is you can not create 1 master door or window schedule which would contain all the doors or windows for both buildings. Also, how can I combine views on one sheet, i.e. a detail from building 1 and a detail from building 2 on one detail sheet?

Thanks,
Amer

Allen Lacy
2004-06-03, 08:57 PM
I would look at using worksets. You can make the interior and exterior of each building a workset, for example, and only load what you are working on. It will also give you greater visibility control for documentation, ie, only showing one building at a time.

Mr Spot
2004-06-03, 10:08 PM
If you want to combine details of both buildings on the one sheet you would be best including it all in one file. How big are the buildings? Usually we only use Linked files if there are three/four or more buildings. With two buildings the file size should be too large and should still be very workable speed wise. This way everything can be scheduled they way you want it, either by building or a total of both...

Regards,

Wes Macaulay
2004-06-04, 03:32 PM
Here's a quick way to evaluate it: is the drawing set going to be separate for each building, or would you issue the whole projects as one set?

I suspect the latter. As Allen said, use worksets, and get to know Scope Boxes so that grids and levels for each building can be limited to those particular regions in the project. Otherwise you'll have grids and levels in places you may not want to see.

One problem with this method is that you may have more plan views and levels then you wish you had to deal with! But at least everything is in one file, so that means editing the interconnections between buildings is much much easier than if you were linking files.

BomberAIA
2004-06-05, 12:35 PM
I have been toying w/ multifamily for a while and have tried separate files, linked files and the same file. The same file works best w/ grouping using scope boxes. After I assemble the buildings, I use a drafting view for each unit plan (1/4" view). So far this works the best for me.