PDA

View Full Version : reference plane instead of levels

m.thomas
2006-06-19, 05:06 PM
I've set up reference planes for top of steel levels. Have not used levels as too many levels get cumbersome.

however when I select columns, walls etc i don't seem able to select the reference plane from the 'top level' pulldown.

I'm sure I've done this before. Am I missing something obvious?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-06-19, 06:47 PM
You can't associate the top of a column with a ref plane but you can select the column(s) and then attach on the optons bar to get the tops of columns associated with the ref plane.

m.thomas
2006-06-19, 07:04 PM
Thanks Dimitri, using the attach option works but only by going to a view in which you can pick the plane. it would be great if the plane could be selected from a drop down list on the option bar.

Is it better to just use levels? I was hoping to minimise use of levels as they will be on top of each other as they are so close together.

As an aside ...in the column properties it is possible to go to "analytical projection plane top" and select the reference plane, but this does not actually move top of column, just affects some structural calculation I guess.

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-19, 07:10 PM
I think it really depends on how much you think you'll be moving things... if the column in this case is expected to always be 6" from the floor level, for example, then instead of using a separate level to control that you can just offset the column 6" from the level and it'll move with the level. If, on the other hand, the columns will be moving a lot independent of another level then I'd probably go with an additional level or reference plane.

m.thomas
2006-06-19, 07:20 PM
Hopefully I wont be moving things...just that from experience as soon as I setup steelwork in my architectural dwgs a new set of dwgs will come through from the Engineer with revisions. Easier to move a ref plane or level up/down than manually adjust all columns.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-06-20, 06:10 AM
If the levels get in the way you can set up a workset to place them on and have it off by default in views.