PDA

View Full Version : A though about structural

ford347
2006-06-20, 02:34 PM
I just spent some time in Revit Structure. I do a lot of wood framing so I wanted to see if it was any better that building. I had a great time in there. I drew some reference planes, was able to cut geometry to those planes, which was a snap for over-hang plumb cuts, under cuts at the ends, I coped the rafters to the ridge beam, everything was really controllable, I cut a section and everything looked great???!!! It might just be me, but I have a hard time controlling structural wood framing members in Revit building. It's not that I think I have to model everything for my framing crews or anything, it's just think it's nice to just use the tools that are there. Tags behave properly, you have more freedom with schedules, graphically everything is there for stick views etc., so I prefer to use it, it's just a PITA. Granted, I haven't been using the structural tools too long, I just recently made the commitment to get better with them, so hopefully I pick up a few tricks.

Does anybody think it's worth it to own both programs? We do minor structural analysis on residential homes, and we do everything in house.

Anyway, just some thoughts. Have a good one!

Josh:beer: