PDA

View Full Version : Roof by Face from Mass - Offset Problem

nicknamder
2006-06-20, 04:49 PM
I'm working with a Mass and created Floors Area Faces and then created Floors by Face.
I decided to Offset the floors by 1' to pull the edge in from my exterior wall. Everything works fine.

I then go to create a Roof by Face and also wanted to utilize the same offset, but this doesn't work. No Offset achieved? I changed the offset distance to 5', still nothing.

Bug? The geometry in my test is very straight forward flat planes?

Nick

kurk
2006-06-28, 10:22 PM
Sorry Nick Im not providing an answer but rather joining you on your quest!

I too am having problems with the roof by face tool, creating a monopitch roof from my mass. I want to create varying roof overhangs around my roof but the offset box does not work as you say. Even if it did I still require varying overhangs so would like to be able to edit further. I can use the shape handles at the roof edge to drag them out to create an overhang (which you could also do to drag them in if you had a parapet situation) but they do not seem to snap to any reference plane when I drag them...

kurk
2006-06-28, 10:31 PM
Hold on I have a revelation (Revitlation). It seems in my mere novice status I did not immediately think of all the options.

If I create my roof by face, then select it in order to manipulate the shape handles, to give some form of soffit, I can then either use the align tool to align the face to a reference plane or even more simply give the edge a dimension to the building which then allows me to type in an exact overhang when I select the roof again.

Please tell me this helps, or is at least the correct answer, as it would be the first time I have actually provided someone else help on this site as opposed to receiving it all the time! haha