PDA

View Full Version : Eave Problems

dsw98
2006-06-20, 09:08 PM
I'm trying to offset an eve 2 feet from the the rest of the eves but can't figure out how exactly to do. I tried simply offseting the roof line 2 feet but it doesn't work the way I need it to. I've attached a before and after and can't get it to work. I've also attached a sketch of what it needs to look like, it's the top sketch. Thanks for the help.

BWG
2006-06-21, 01:44 AM
We sometimes pull the eave out far enough to get that plate height difference after we use a void to cut the roof back. I guess you could use a roof opening as well, but I prefer the void.

Andre Baros
2006-06-21, 01:57 AM
I believe that the issue is related to how you draw your roof:
If you draw your roof by picking walls, than the spring point of your roof is at the top of the wall (at the level your roof is hosted by), and any offset of the edge of the roof (the eves) extends down from that spring point.
If you draw your roof by footprint, the edge of the roof sets the spring point (also at the height of your roof), so if you have different eve offsets but the same spring point, this is the prefered way to draw the roof.
Your particular roof shows a vertical offset, but I can't tell if it still has the same projection in plan or if it's just cut off. If it's just cut off than an in place void would do the trick, but if you still need an offset in plan, you may need to do a combination of the two.

patricks
2006-06-21, 01:08 PM
Have you tried changing the Plate Offset height parameter for that particular edge of the roof?

mccurdyks
2006-06-21, 03:20 PM
Have you tried changing the Plate Offset height parameter for that particular edge of the roof?

I had completely overlooked this feature. Does this only work with roof not defined by walls? Every time I try to offset a line defined by picking a wall, the roof won't complete. (I'm still back in 8.1). I have no problems when I just defined the roof by lines instead of walls.

randolph.fritz102047
2006-06-21, 05:16 PM
By the way, it's usually spelled "eave"; when I first saw the title I was wondering about Adam.

dsw98
2006-06-30, 09:35 PM
So I never really had a problem after all. All I had to do is offset the roof line the 3 feet I needed. The reason it didn't seem like it was working was because I had a hipped roof near the roof I wanted to offset and it stuck up past it. So I had to pop the hipped roof and walls out 3 feet to get it to work. So I now have the look I want, well the look the builder wants.

P.S. Sorry I spelt eave wrong :p