PDA

View Full Version : Structural frames

kwong
2006-06-21, 01:01 AM
Hi all,
I'm trying to use structural framing to create some sloping beams (rafters I guess) but I'm having a lot of difficulty placing them accurately to where I want. When I pick one up by its end point & try to snap it to another's end point they don't meet!. Is there a trick to this? Thanks for any advice.
kwong

ejburrell67787
2006-06-21, 08:01 AM
Hve you inserted them on a reference plane that is on the slope you want? That is the way to do sloping beams - create a reference plane for the slope and then set it to be the work plane when you place the beams.

HTH.

patricks
2006-06-21, 01:03 PM
You can specify start and end offset heights now for framing. What kwong is referring to I'm guessing is the behavior of beams where they "cut back" and don't actually touch when you bring their endpoints together.

ejburrell67787
2006-06-21, 02:42 PM
You can specify start and end offset heights now for framing. What kwong is referring to I'm guessing is the behavior of beams where they "cut back" and don't actually touch when you bring their endpoints together.Oh well if that is the case, then can't you select the beam and drag the ends independent of the joint? (stretch arrow heads different to the element toggle points)

kwong
2006-06-21, 11:42 PM
Elrond: yes I did insert them using a north & south ref plane at 50 degree pitch and they behaved OK & putting in the ridge piece was easy using a ridge ref plane in plan, but when I tried to put them together to the ridge piece I had to use the arrow keys to nudge them together. Exactly as Patricks said, the ends points don't meet when I bring them together. I'm thinking maybe it's the beam that I made. I'll attach it & hopefully someone can have a look & tell me what's wrong with it.
Thanks.

kwong
2006-06-22, 01:15 AM
Oops sorry uploaded twice