PDA

View Full Version : Cut Plane Problems...Is this a Bug?

dgraue
2006-06-21, 06:14 PM
Was anyone run into this? If you draw any wall at 5'-11" or less and have the plan view set to MEDIUM detail, no detail linework will show up (for instance if you have a stucco wall on studs you would see the lines that make up the stucco, studs and gyp board...so four lines in a medium or fine detail view). If you draw the wall at 6' or taller, the additional linework will show up. The CUT PLANE in the View Range can be set to any height, even 1' and still will have no effect on the linework.

Now, if you draw a wall from the levels below to a point 4' above the level of your plan view the detail linework of the wall will show up. This is a big problem graphically for roof plans where some walls from below become the parapet wall while other parapet walls (below 6' high) are drawn at this level.

The work around seems to be adding an additional Level at 4' above the roof line and constrain the walls to that level instead of an unconnected wall at a specified height but it shouldn't be that complicated. I should at least have the option to show detail in these low walls if desired...perhaps a check box in the properties of the wall.
An example file is attached.

Thanks.
DG

cphubb
2006-06-21, 06:29 PM
I am not sure why these walls behave like this but I observed the following:

1. Left wall top constraint is level 2 with a 4'-0" offset
2. Right wall is unconnected with a height of 4'-0"

If you take the right wall and make its top constraint Level 2 with a 4'0" offset it displays correctly. In Revit you should constrain your wall tops to the level above or the current level with an offset of their height. This will allow the walls to follow the level and never get lost. Relying on the wall height can lead to problems in the future.

I agree the display is a little weird.

dgraue
2006-06-21, 10:16 PM
Thanks, Chris. This one wasn't apparent to me. I like the idea of taking the wall up to the same level and off-setting to a height much better than creating a "dummy" level for each instance.

DG