PDA

View Full Version : Corner Window Resolved

Shaun v Rooyen
2006-06-22, 06:25 AM
I am not sure how many of you have had issues with corner windows.
Well, my biggest issue with corner windows is that the families available, as well as the past families I have constructed, all act as one unit.
Being one unit, makes it increasingly difficult to schedule and place on legend views, thus forcing you to create extra elevation views of the component. The scheduling problem is as such, that if one of the sides differs in width, by our standards it should then become a new window type.

So after looking into the situation I have come up with the most brilliant solution, even if I have to say so myself, to all corner window problems.
One simple needs to adjust the opening of the widow family by half the wall width.

For more info or links to the download check out my blog.

patricks
2006-06-22, 02:56 PM
Very nice.

However I see the factory still has not fixed embedded curtain walls at a corner condition. When I bring an embedded curtain wall up to the corner of a regular wall, it leaves a piece of the regular wall in the corner instead of cutting it out completely, which means then that both walls must have their profiles edited.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-22, 03:18 PM
However I see the factory still has not fixed embedded curtain walls at a corner condition. When I bring an embedded curtain wall up to the corner of a regular wall, it leaves a piece of the regular wall in the corner instead of cutting it out completely, which means then that both walls must have their profiles edited.
I think if you turn the corner condition to a Miter, the corner condition cleans up correctly.

jamesd10181097
2006-08-29, 07:51 PM
It does not seem to be cleaning up for me either and we seem to be doing corner windows on all projects now.

sbrown
2006-08-29, 08:00 PM
Scott, if the wall is thicker than the curtain wall, even in miter I too get a little sliver of wall left on the corner.

Steve_Stafford
2006-08-29, 08:06 PM
Fwiw, Shaun is not using a curtain wall in this example it is a family.

sbrown
2006-08-29, 09:13 PM
Yes, we were mixing 2 discussions in one thread.

Firmso
2006-08-29, 11:10 PM
There should be a Family Template Option for corner windows. Everyone knows walls turn a corner and people tend to like windows at the bend.

"In my mind I occassionally ask myself"
Why do things like this seem to never get fixed? It seemed to make sense that if you have a BIM tool, shouldn't it come with what is normally applied in the building industry such as a corner window so people don't waste time fixing what is "Should" readily be available?

rjcrowther
2006-08-30, 12:15 AM
Yep, nice solution. I tend to agree with the idea that corner windows are now common place and a corner window family template is a must.

Gadget Man
2006-08-30, 06:19 AM
Frankly, I wouldn't mind to have a bay window template either. So far I construct a bay window from three windows (which leaves un-cut walls corners as well) while in reality, in most cases, bay windows are assembled (on site, true) as one unit (with the mullions in the corners).

In my old (and oh-so-backward now) program Cadsoft Build there was this brilliant feature that took all the parameters (front and side windows' types, corner angles, depth of bay step-out, sill yes/no, etc.) and created that window - together with the base wall corresponding to the host wall too...on the go... It was very smart indeed...

Now, I have tried to make a bay window family myself and for the windows' types part there is no problem, but the problem starts with the base wall...

How do I include it in the family?
Do I need (want) to include it in the family?

It would be nice to have it included, so the resulting bay would be of the size exactly as needed by the windows. Otherwise, one has to draw a wall bay first and then cut all that with the bay window family - hmmm maybe THAT is the answer...? The only problem I see there is the accuracy of the bay sizes (as needed by windows). Of course, it is relatively easy to adjust it later and to manually create a sill but then again it is possible to do many things by hand! But why? All together it starts to become a tedious task... especially with several of these in the project - each of a different size!

I would rather have a bay window family template... :)

Sorry for my bubbling - just thinking ... aloud? ;)

mibzim
2006-08-30, 06:48 AM
I'll add my voice to this one - corner windows are difficult and embedded curtain walls dont clean up nicely. What a hastle for something that could be so easy!

Nice solution though zeds

jamesd10181097
2006-08-30, 03:56 PM
even if the corner widow takes a while if they could at least get the embeded curtainwalls to clean up the wall.