PDA

View Full Version : Open doors

sfaust
2004-06-03, 06:12 PM
Not too big of a priority, but for rendering purposes it would be great to be able to give doors an open percentage or angle. I know that this could mess up an elevation to see the door panel open, but I think it would be a good control to have. I know also that it can be done already by modifying existing families, but it would be nice to have it built in to the subscription families. The main idea is to be able to do a walkthrough and not have to walk through doors...

Any thoughts? better solutions? advice to stop whining and do it myself?

aaronrumple
2004-06-03, 06:34 PM
This is possible. Just a matter of setting up parameters to change the door angle. I'm working on a set of detail and model componets for a kit of nested door graphics and model objects which will include swings. I'll post when I'm more complete.

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-03, 07:32 PM
You might try turning off the visibility of the door panels in the perspective view before running your walk-through. Rather than turning off the entire door, turning off just the door panel will leave the frame/jamb visible and will give you a reasonably convincing walk through.

sfaust
2004-06-03, 09:50 PM
Both true, and not bad workarounds, I konw it is possible, but hadn't thought of turning off the door panels, that would be a little better at least. Like I said, it's not a big priority, but it would be a nice functionality for the developers to add to the doors (I think so anyway).

hand471037
2004-06-03, 10:46 PM
The Developers don't have to add this, for you can add it today by just making a Door family that includes a parametric angle that you can change for the swing. There's one on rugi.org you can refer to as an example.

However, it would be cool if it was just already built into the out-of-the-box content that came with Revit.

shaunv68276
2004-06-04, 07:42 AM
I've been working on local content. Someone asked me to do a door that shows open or closed. I thought I would share the Family. Toggle the Open option for door open or closed

blads
2004-06-04, 08:28 AM
Shaun,

thanks for that - it works like a treat

Vincent Valentijn
2004-06-04, 10:18 AM
Quite nice..

I don't know what's the drawing standards where you are but in the same way Shaun has added the open/closed option you could add dashed or continuous lines in elevation to indicate doors turning in or outwards including a switch of the door symbol in plan.. and actually having the 3D door to open towards or away from you..

I've made some of these allready but I cannot post them since I've produced them for a client specific contentlibrary, they won't allow it.. and I don't want any trouble.
Knowing the method you'd have to be able to produce such doors fairly easily yourself I'd think though ;) good luck..

sfaust
2004-06-04, 02:00 PM
precisely. That's all I was saying. I do realize that it can already be done, I was just not wanting to do this to every door (being lazy mostly I guess).