PDA

View Full Version : Structural Floor Level vs Finished Floor Level

david.fung
2006-06-26, 11:11 AM
Is the Level in Revit defined as the Finished Floor Level? I would like to define it as Structural Floor Level and when different finishes apply onto it e.g. 50mm tile and screeding or 25mm carpet and underlay etc., the levels remains unchanged.

At the moment, when new floor type are defined, the structural floor slab shift down but keep the finished floor unchanged.

Anyone can help?

sbrown
2006-06-26, 12:27 PM
currently you must select your floor and move it up the thickness of your finish. This has always been a pet peeve of mine, but I don't think I've ever placed a support or wishlist. I find the same with ceilings too. I want to be able to say the stud framing is 8.0aff not the gyp.

Andre Baros
2006-06-26, 01:38 PM
We use the same convension, Level = Top of Structure, but sometimes add a seperate level for top of finish floor because doors by default insert at the current level and it can get tedious to move them all up by the thickness of your architectural floor. This is an issue for us because most of our architectural toppings are 2-3 inches thick.

ejburrell67787
2006-06-26, 01:44 PM
If it is critical you could always place 2 floors - a structural slab and a finish material. If you set the structural slab to level and then lock the finish material floor to the structural slab it should work.

greg.mcdowell
2006-06-26, 02:09 PM
To push this one step further... you might try using a Floor and a Roof instead of two Floors.

I know, it sounds weird but if you consider that Floors grow in thickness from the top-down and Roofs grow from the bottom-up then it starts to make some sense.

Our floor finishes are typically not thick enough to warrant this approach but I have used it successfully for flat roofs.