PDA

View Full Version : Placement of curtain system grids

randolph.fritz102047
2006-06-26, 03:54 PM
I have a curtain system built by face from a truncated inverted cone. I need to align the mullions with a datum line (see the attached image). Can someone here tell me how?

More generally, I would like more information about how the various create-by-face operations work. What controls gridline placement when I attach a curtain system to a mesh? Will circles be mapped to circles in a wall-by-face? And so on.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-06-26, 05:53 PM
If your curtain wall is a system (ie it has a pre-defined grid set up) you won't be able to move the grid unless you un-pin it first. Once you do you can move/align that grid to your datum.

If you want to maintain the pre-defined spacing of your system but want the grid to start on your datum, measure the difference between the curtain grid as it stands and the datum line. Go to the properties of the system and edit the offset setting to move the start point of the grid to suit the datum location.
HTH

randolph.fritz102047
2006-06-26, 06:08 PM
Great! That helps a lot--I've aligned the grid to the datum line.

I am realizing, however, that while I know our design intention, I am not sure that our model captures it. I have been assuming that the verticals of the generated curtain system in fact fall on the planes through the center of the cone, and I am not sure if that is what has been generated. If I import a mesh with mesh points at (what we think is) our intended location, will "Curtain System By Face" generate curtain systems mesh points at my imported mesh points?

dhurtubise
2006-06-26, 07:55 PM
You can also click on the little grid icon that appear and change the grid layout.

Great! That helps a lot--I've aligned the grid to the datum line.

I am realizing, however, that while I know our design intention, I am not sure that our model captures it. I have been assuming that the verticals of the generated curtain system in fact fall on the planes through the center of the cone, and I am not sure if that is what has been generated. If I import a mesh with mesh points at (what we think is) our intended location, will "Curtain System By Face" generate curtain systems mesh points at my imported mesh points?

randolph.fritz102047
2006-06-26, 08:32 PM
Daniel, as far as I can tell, clicking on the grid icon only works for a grid in a plane.