PDA

View Full Version : generic models copy but rename?

Justin Marchiel
2006-06-26, 04:41 PM
I have a inplace generic model that i created. I have copied it around the job and now find that each time i copied it, it has given itself a new name for every copy. If i edit any of the models it does not affect the others.

I realize now that if i wanted to have a master model that would update all, i should have created a family and not an in place family. So i guess this is a bit of a warning or comment. if you want global changes, it can't be an inplace family. is this correct? My quick solution is to cut and paste.

This is something that i must have overlooked in the beginings, so i am just passing this info on.

Justin

patricks
2006-06-26, 06:02 PM
Correct, you are

True families, you should create. :p

eddy.lermytte
2006-06-26, 10:15 PM
I

I realize now that if i wanted to have a master model that would update all, i should have created a family and not an in place family. So i guess this is a bit of a warning or comment. if you want global changes, it can't be an inplace family. is this correct?

JustinUnless I misunderstood ... I am not convinced of this statement.
Yes ...
one have to avoid as much as possible In Place Models for various known reasons.
But ...
if you want global changes you can do it with an In Place too.

Group the In Place object(s) before you copy ... copy as many times you like ... edit one of them > the changes will be global for all group members.

Elmo
2006-06-27, 05:33 AM
Group the In Place object(s) before you copy ... copy as many times you like ... edit one of them > the changes will be global for all group members.You can do it this way but then your file will get very heavy and you will have wait longer periods for things to happen. I would rather create a seperate family and not worry about slowing down my work process.

eddy.lermytte
2006-06-27, 10:17 AM
You can do it this way but then your file will get very heavy and you will have wait longer periods for things to happen. I would rather create a seperate family and not worry about slowing down my work process.
That's what I meant with "various known reasons"