PDA

View Full Version : Detail component with solid fill!

Joef
2006-06-27, 06:05 PM
I decided to use one of the new detail components that came with 9.0 and to my surprise have discovered that the dimensional lumber detail component has a solid fill. This means that when it is exported to AutoCAD it shows up as a solid. I'm sorry but this is just plain negligence. It has been discussed at great length here that using solid drafting fills creates a solid when exported. I cannot believe these details passed any serious scrutiny whatever. I paid my hard earned $$ for these details and now they are useless. Thank you Autodesk.

davidcobi
2006-06-27, 06:08 PM
If you change the pattern from Solid White to No Pattern that should fix the problem.

patricks
2006-06-27, 06:20 PM
I noticed that also. Yes it can be fixed, but It would be pretty tedious to modify it for every detail component.

Joef
2006-06-27, 06:22 PM
I know how to fix them, the question is why should I have to? I shouldn't have to spend my time repairing Detail Components that were created improperly. Imagine all 100,000 users spending a few minutes each fixing Autodesk's mistake. Adds up to a lot of wasted time that could very easily have been avoided if anyone had take 2 minutes to actually check to see if they worked.

david.metcalf
2006-06-27, 08:44 PM
I am confused, why this is a big issue?

Joef
2006-06-27, 09:47 PM
If you use the Detail Components OTB and export the drawing to AutoCAD (as many of us do), the detail components appear as a solid filled rectangular shape. Instead of a section of a 2x6 (a rectangle with and x) you will see a solid filled rectangle. So now if anyone wants to use these details they have to be fixed. Over and over again by thousands of users. It would have been dead simple to make them right in the first place and save all the Revit users the time it takes to fix them.

ford347
2006-06-28, 12:41 AM
Just fix the one family, one time, and replace the family, then those thousands of users won't have to do it thousands of times. yeah, a few more minutes than anticipated, but that's the way it came. Sorry for the troubles.

Doug
2006-06-28, 01:23 AM
LOL Hey! Just do Revit... and say good by to ADT

patricks
2006-06-28, 03:22 AM
Just fix the one family, one time, and replace the family, then those thousands of users won't have to do it thousands of times. yeah, a few more minutes than anticipated, but that's the way it came. Sorry for the troubles.

He means we'll all have to fix them, all of us other Revit users who export to AutoCAD.

But lately at my office we haven't been exporting any details, only floor plans and occasionally elevations for electrical and mechanical engineers. Our structural engineer has already made the switch, and from what I heard our electrical engineer is about to, as well. :D

now to just get the mechanical engineer on board.....

david.metcalf
2006-06-28, 03:29 PM
OK! That s clear. I almost never export details to AutoCAD since I have a library of details in AutoCAD already. I might just export line work into AutoCAD as a basis of creating linework in ADT details component manager and print it.

And yes, it is true that it is a hassle for the first time to get these fills out of the way. But my business process fortunately is geared to getting most CDs out of Revit not porting Revit to AutoCAD for the production of CDs.

Joef
2006-06-28, 04:42 PM
I export my whole set of plans to AutoCAD when I archive a project. I hate having to fiddle with the exported files to get them to look like they are supposed to look.
I sent this problem off to support and got a very prompt reply.(Autodesk support is getting better with age). Support told me how to fix them and said that the details were produced in this manner as a result of customer requests. So whoever is creating these details is doing them correctly according to these customers. Doesn't make a lot of sense at this end, but it there you have it.

Joe