PDA

View Full Version : Import DWG in Color

davidcobi
2006-06-27, 07:47 PM
When we import a dwg we have 3 options: Black & White, Preserve colors, Invert Colors. We always have to import in black and white to get the dwg to plot properly. When we import in color and plot the lines are all grey. So my question is: Has anyone found importing in color a useful feature and if so under what circumstances is importing in color useful?

aaronrumple
2006-06-27, 07:53 PM
When we import a dwg we have 3 options: Black & White, Preserve colors, Invert Colors. We always have to import in black and white to get the dwg to plot properly. When we import in color and plot the lines are all grey. So my question is: Has anyone found importing in color a useful feature and if so under what circumstances is importing in color useful?
The color will print black if you select "Black Lines" as your Appearance in print settings. This will cause grey Revit lines to also print black - so it may not work for what you want.

AutoCAD layer color can be overridden per view, so you can have one view set up with color and another configured for black line printing.

Finally - no - I haven't found importing color from AutoCAD layers any use.

DoTheBIM
2006-06-30, 08:40 PM
AutoCAD layer color can be overridden per view, so you can have one view set up with color and another configured for black line printing.
Only etities that are completely set to bylayer will use the override. By completely I mean linetype, color, and lineweight. I think it's a bug, but that might be because it doesn't operate they way it implies to me. I haven't had time to submit it yet to see.

Only reason for colors I can think of is for on easier on the designer's eyes or wow factor when printed.

jeff.95551
2006-06-30, 11:35 PM
I haven't found it useful. I can see not too far off in the future that reproduction costs will allow us to do CD's in color the way our surveyors and most process engineers already do.

patricks
2006-07-01, 02:27 AM
well we could if we had spent the extra money on a color Oce large-format laser plotter. But we only got the grayscale version. We do have a color HP DesignJet plotter, but it's way too slow (even though we used to use it for all plots before the Oce).

Joef
2006-07-01, 04:27 AM
I sometimes import in colour so that the AutoCAD file is easier to trace over. A useful feature you'd miss if it wasn't there.

Joe

moon47
2007-06-04, 01:45 PM
I have a use full reason to use preserve colors... I am using a nifty autocad feature to paste/link an excel spreadsheet as autocad entities so that it can be somewhat dynamically imported into revit...

We have a spreadsheet that we are trying to put together collected data from revit to compare against collected data by the customer ans are using some custom colors in the excel spread sheet to match the room colors we have chosen in revit...

Revit does a fairly good job with colors that are in the standard autocad pallet but once you start messing with true colors i came across problems...

Also revit has a very hard time with black, white and grey colors and wants to turn almost anything except for certain shades of grey to black... So if you want to import any kind of gray scaled color scheme forget about it... Unless im missing something... There is a prety good chance of that... =]