PDA

View Full Version : Revit File Sharing

cadkiller
2006-06-28, 06:42 PM
Group;

Since the previous thread regarding sharing templates was so popular.
I figured it would be good idea to use my FTP site for sharing other things as well.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=39977&highlight=revit+file+sharing

I got like over 700 people adding my website to their favorite list this month.
It was certainly mostly from the file sharing thread.
Now if we could just get all of them to share their files! :)
That would be Awesome and it would certainly benefit us all to do so.

Here is the new connection I created.

Host name- precisiondraftingllc.com

User Name- revit@precisiondraftingllc.com

Password- filesharing

Scott D Davis
2006-06-28, 08:23 PM
Edward,

If you could, please change the username to:

revitATprecisiondraftingllc.com

(remove the "@" symbol)

Then we can have Shortcuts created that go right to the FTP site. If you leave the @ symbol, the shortcut wont work properly.

Thanks!

cadkiller
2006-06-28, 08:35 PM
Scott;

I wish I could; but my host provider places the @ symbol by default and requires it.
See attached image.

Scott D Davis
2006-06-28, 09:28 PM
ahhh...i see. Thanks anyways!

ford347
2006-06-29, 05:37 PM
this is very cool. I hope to clean my stuff up and get it in there too.

Where are the walls that Scott posted?

cadkiller
2006-06-29, 06:10 PM
It's with the templates.
Just change the user name to "AUGI instead of REVIT" and the password to "TEMPLATES instead of FILESHARING".
You can refer to the link above for that thread.

cadkiller
2006-06-29, 09:33 PM
Group;

This is what I setup so far.
Let me know what you think.

cadkiller
2006-06-30, 04:26 PM
Then we can have Shortcuts created that go right to the FTP site. If you leave the @ symbol, the shortcut wont work properly.Thanks!Scott;

Would this work?

Authenticated FTP

We also heard lots of feedback about FTP not working in IE7. In beta 2, anonymous FTP sites worked, however if the site required authentication, then one needed to either use windows explorer to get the familiar folder view of the FTP site, or use the somewhat arcane ftp://username:password@ftp.site/ URL format in order to make it work in IE7. In beta 3, IE7 now prompts for credentials and gives an html view of the FTP site. If you’re interested in the folder view for the FTP site, simply choose the “Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer” menu entry from the Page menu.

PS: I can't get rid of the smiley face in the shortcut. It should be replaced with a ": p"

cadkiller
2006-07-27, 03:55 PM
Group;

In the past couple of months I have had 1427 people add my web site to their favorite folder. This obviously was from my "Revit Template Sharing" thread and this "Revit File Sharing" thread; but not much content has been added in awhile. Is it just that people want to take and not give? Why are people so hesitant, when it comes to sharing their custom content, even if it took you a long time to create it?

PS: The world would be a much better place if we just all shared and so would the Revit Community!

Michelle Gibson
2006-08-18, 01:38 PM
I have downloaded the wall types, and now want to add something to the site but don't seem to be able to find the originals or any of the files that have been posted. All I see on your ftp site is the imperial and metric file and the a few .rfa files at the bottom. No walls, no copy of TNC...

did something change and how do I add my file? Obviously not familiar with ftp sites!

thanks,

cadkiller
2006-08-18, 02:14 PM
I created two different connections, one for file sharing and another for template sharing. If you see RFA files then you're in the file sharing connection and need to change to the template sharing for the "Copy of TNC" template file.

I probably should create a new connection and combine everything in one location or just eliminate one of them and transfer the files. Maybe I should start a new thread to let everyone know about the changes. What do you guys think? What should the user name and password be?

As far as adding files to the FTP site, just drag and drop the folder (s) or file (s) to the FTP viewer application. It should start uploading automatically.

Michelle Gibson
2006-08-21, 05:45 PM
thanks - I figured it out and found the file.

We hope to add our file(s) or templates once our Revit gurus get back from holidays. I am just a lowly partner that loves designing in Revit, haven't done too much tech stuff yet.

cadkiller
2006-08-30, 07:53 PM
Please be advised that I changed the log in info and incorporated all the files into one connection now.

Here is the new log in info.

Host name- precisiondraftingllc.com
User name: revit@precisiondraftingllc.com (revit@precisiondraftingllc.com)
Password: sharing