PDA

View Full Version : wall footings

steveoyer
2006-06-28, 09:45 PM
i am trying to add the structural footing to my exterior walls, but for some reason some walls will take them some will not, and i cant seem to find the reason why?

doesnt seem to be related to the type of wall, least not that i can find.

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

steve o

erikbjur
2006-06-29, 02:35 AM
Post a file or pictures so we can help you. I have never expierenced your situation before. Footings usualy work slick.

steveoyer
2006-06-29, 03:44 PM
here it is, sorry i couldnt get it any smaller, never have figured that out either

thanks for any help

steve o

erikbjur
2006-06-29, 05:23 PM
Here is the deal with your file and a possible fix. In revit, the footing has to be at least as wide as the wall above it. The footings don't attach to the walls in question because the wall is 1' 3" and the footing is only 12" wide. If you create a 16" footing, vola, the footings will show. Here is the kicker, Revit doesn't delete the instance of the 12" footing when it desides it can't create it. Just because it isn't shown, doesn't mean it's not there (BUG). Thus the reason you can't select the wall to put another footing there. Create a footing schedule and delete the rows that don't have any volume. See attached picture. If you are trying to create a spread footing under a stemwall, I would create a 12" concrete foundation wall and then attach the Spread footing to the stemwall. Other wise you have to use a footing that is at least as wide as the wall above. If you just want a wall footing, you can use a normal concrete wall that is 12" wide.

steveoyer
2006-06-29, 07:22 PM
GREAT!

cant thank you enough! the schedule was the key.

do you know why doors and windows at 0 elevation break the footings?
i have just been raising then up a bit, but i was wondering if it was just me.

again, thanks!

steve o

erikbjur
2006-06-30, 12:41 AM
I just raise them up 1/8". Pretty stupid work around though. Like I said before if your foundation wall is really a stemwall in reality, I would model the stemwall as a real wall, and them attach a footing to it. That way you avoid those issues above.