PDA

View Full Version : origin

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-03, 02:40 PM
simple questions from a new reviteer.
where is the origin of a revit file ? is it the same for all files ? is it determine the
coordinate readouts ? can it be changed ? is it the same as the base of a dwg file
so that the base will automatically merge to the origin when importing into a revit file ?
where is the centre of a rvt file ? is it the centroid of all object ? if no objects , does it
mean centre of file = origin ?

hope to see some response if you don't mind they are too basic

aaronrumple
2006-07-03, 03:18 PM
simple questions from a new reviteer.
where is the origin of a revit file ? is it the same for all files ? is it determine the
coordinate readouts ? can it be changed ? is it the same as the base of a dwg file
so that the base will automatically merge to the origin when importing into a revit file ?
where is the centre of a rvt file ? is it the centroid of all object ? if no objects , does it
mean centre of file = origin ?

hope to see some response if you don't mind they are too basic
First: Does this even matter in Revit? Not really.
Second, yes, Virgina, there is an origin. There are a couple of ways to find the origin in Revit. One way i to draw an X in AutoCAD at 0,0 and import that file into your Revit project using the origin to origin option.
You can also use Tools->Shared Coordinates->Specify Coordinates at a Point to relocate 0,0.

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-04, 02:17 PM
Now I Know that 0,0 is the origin of a Revit File.
and one can use specify co-ordinates at a point to change this origin to
anywhere desired. It is very similar to Microstation Global origin.
I ask that because sometimes when I import dwg files, an error msg pops up
stating that some elements are at a far distance from the file, so
it will automatically change to centre to centre option. Although the
dwg file still can be imported , all co-ordinates become wrong in
such situation. Just suppose it's a problem relating to the origin.
Not sure if I have got the answer or not ??!!

sbrown
2006-07-04, 06:31 PM
That error means that your dwg file had lines or points very far from 0,0,0 If you open the dwg you can check by using the line command and specifying 0,0,0 as the start point and see how far it is to the farthest object.

Don't worry about this error, basically in revit you will link your dwg, move it, rotate it in alignment with your building, then use the aquire coordinates tool, select the dwg then your revit project will align with the dwg.

cheukling125525.110216
2006-07-05, 05:16 AM
Thanks a lot.
Very clear explanation and I think I got the point.