PDA

View Full Version : Wall attached to curved roof

rkitect
2006-07-05, 07:25 PM
I know the curved wall issue has been worn out, so here's a new twist:

http://gibsonhouse.dyndns.org/famfoto/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=1514

As you can see, on the left I have a normal run-of-the-mill wall with top constraint of 'Second Floor.' Unfortunately, it extends outside of the building through the curved roof/wall (modeled as a roof to help attachment). On the right you can see what happens when I attach the wall to the roof, it removes that second floor constraint which kinda ruins the usability of this section. Any ideas on how to prevent this behavior?

TIA

_Carl

pS: for those of you wondering what kind of building has an exterior wall that bends into the roof, check out http://www.sprung.com/ (not as perverted as it sounds). Up and coming pre-engineered building manufacturer. Really cool idea!

Firmso
2006-07-05, 11:32 PM
Select the wall and under option bar click ' Edit Profile' and edit the part that goes out beyond the roof.
Hope this is what you wanted.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-06, 09:39 AM
You can attach a wall to more than 1 roof so if the slab-like object on the right is another roof (which is what I took it to be from what you wrote) then you can attach the wall to that also. Might give the result you're looking for...

mibzim
2006-07-06, 09:56 AM
Revit 9 does behave strangely with top offsets and attachments - the best i have been able to do is split the wall exactly where i want the attachment to stop and then detach the half that i want to be level.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-06, 10:27 AM
Revit 9 does behave strangely with top offsets and attachments - the best i have been able to do is split the wall exactly where i want the attachment to stop and then detach the half that i want to be level.I've had to do the same just because of the roof ridge! I think it was because the base level of the wall was higher in places than the roof the top was attached to. Splitting the wall as you say works fine though, and the walls will join together again in all views anyway.

rkitect
2006-07-06, 12:29 PM
Thanks guys, I had actually used the split on an earlier project with much less complicated walls to do the same thing. I wonder how many older tricks I've neglected =/ At least I'm not still trying to hit the space bar after typing in a command.

However, the split causes an 'Unjoin Elements' error (no sweat) followed by a 'all your Base are belong to me' error (ruh roh, 'Top of wall is lower than Base of wall') which makes no sense to me because the properties state that the wall's base is First Floor, and the wall's top is the Second Floor.. and I know the first floor is below the second floor.

The Edit Profile worked as best as any solution, the only problem I had then is that it unjoined the wall that I edited from the exterior wall, which really isn't a problem except on the floor plan where there is now a line seperating the two walls because they don't join. Again, not an issue on this project, but thought I'd let you know how it worked out.

Thanks again!