PDA

View Full Version : Importing DWG :(

eldad
2006-07-06, 02:12 AM
it takes 3 minutes and 24 seconds to import a DWG!!
if you guys can get it down to 3 minutes, we can use it as an egg timer...
...just venting :)

mibzim
2006-07-06, 10:07 AM
eldad

our save to central times now top 15 minutes =)

(okay, okay, so our cad manager insists on having millions of worksets to control visibility- 52 in total - we even have a 'stairs' workset. And with only two revit operators its become a mish mash of cad imports and revit - there are only 67 linked dwgs... maybe thats my problem!)

ejburrell67787
2006-07-06, 10:48 AM
eldad

(okay, okay, so our cad manager insists on having millions of worksets to control visibility- 52 in total - we even have a 'stairs' workset. And with only two revit operators its become a mish mash of cad imports and revit - there are only 67 linked dwgs... maybe thats my problem!)I think your Cad manager needs to learn to use Revit... its not AutoCAD after all and worksets ARE NOT layers!!!! Categories can be used for visibilty control also.

We have 15 worksets on a big project (45 flats, 5 stories, complex facceted U-shaped plan 90MB file) and that is too many... several of them are mostly redundant now but I haven't had the time or inclination to clean them out! On another project in its early stages now (slightly large scheme but not so complicated, 40MB file) we have 6 worksets and might at a later stage add 1 or 2 more, but 6 looks good so far!

...perhaps some of your staff also need to drop the addiction to dwg files! ;)

dhurtubise
2006-07-06, 11:37 AM
I have to agree with Elrond, way too many worksets here. As for DWG, make sure you got a PC loaded of RAM.
We are in the process of upgrading our network to 1GB, test shows great improvement in speed.

ejburrell67787
2006-07-06, 11:51 AM
ElronElrond ;) 1234567890

hand471037
2006-07-06, 05:01 PM
eldad

(okay, okay, so our cad manager insists on having millions of worksets to control visibility- 52 in total - we even have a 'stairs' workset. And with only two revit operators its become a mish mash of cad imports and revit - there are only 67 linked dwgs... maybe thats my problem!)

Hey, one thing to watch out for as well is the speed of your file server and network.

A lot of the coordination work the Central file does when you STC actually happens on the file server, not your local. A lot of the time a file server is a very weak computer tied to a bunch of disk space (that has a ton of other people working on it at the same time). Central files are a lot more like a CVS system (source code control) so you might wanna talk to IT about moving your Central files onto a faster, or less used, server and see if it helps your STC times...

We've got huge projects with five to six people teams working together, sometimes even with remote users, and it still doesn't take 15 minutes to save to central. Something is wrong with your Project or setup...

Mr Spot
2006-07-06, 10:26 PM
How big is the DWG being imported? We have files in excess of 100MB and it still only takes about 10 seconds to import a dwg (about 1MB) in size with current view only. Are they being imported as model items.

With worksets we typically use borrowing only so defined worksets really aren't all that important. We tend to only use them as a secondary visibility control. These days I think 6-8 is plenty of worksets for any project.

Examples would be floor finishes workset (which could now be controlled with filters) OR
Interior walls (also could be controlled with filters)
Exterior walls
etc etc.

Save to central times for us are typically around 1-2 minutes or so maximum... There is definitely something wrong with the file. Sounds like it needs auditing by someone whose had some experience with similar projects just to give some recommendations of where they're wrong.

Let me know if you want me to have a look at it Mike :)