PDA

View Full Version : Is there a viewer for Revit?

CADMama
2006-07-06, 02:20 PM
Ok so there is a DWG TrueView (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=6703485)- is there anything that can view Revit files without doing a dwf, dwg, pdf, or whatever?

rkitect
2006-07-06, 02:21 PM
Other than the Demo/Viewer edition of Revit?

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-06, 02:29 PM
Anyone can install Revit and run it in Demo to use Revit as a viewer. Once the file has been altered in any way it can not be printed/plotted, saved or exported. Altered means any change at all...no matter how slight. If the file is unchanged you can plot/print freely in Demo.

Otherwise no, there is no viewer without exporting to dwg/dwf etc.

CADMama
2006-07-06, 09:14 PM
Why thanks dear - I had not thought of that.
CADMama

Elmo
2006-07-07, 11:56 AM
I'll have to keep that in mind for the future Steve. That is a really good tip!

macwizzy06
2006-07-07, 01:33 PM
Anyone can install Revit and run it in Demo to use Revit as a viewer. Once the file has been altered in any way it can not be printed/plotted, saved or exported. Altered means any change at all...no matter how slight. If the file is unchanged you can plot/print freely in Demo.

Otherwise no, there is no viewer without exporting to dwg/dwf etc.
I assume that this viewer cannot be used to make from-scratch drawings then

rkitect
2006-07-07, 01:45 PM
You can make drawings in the viewer, but as soon as you do, it becomes a demo and you can no longer print, save, export, etc. I've even known an instance of someone recreating a project from a journal file using a demo version.

macwizzy06
2006-07-07, 01:54 PM
You can make drawings in the viewer, but as soon as you do, it becomes a demo and you can no longer print, save, export, etc. I've even known an instance of someone recreating a project from a journal file using a demo version.
how does this viewer look like? have a link... or something?

Pardon my ignorance, i'm new with Revit so everything just seems wierd.

Elmo
2006-07-07, 02:35 PM
how does this viewer look like? have a link... or something?

Pardon my ignorance, i'm new with Revit so everything just seems wierd.It just a an install of Revit. The only difference though is that you set it to demo version which makes it the viewer. Hope this helps!:beer:

macwizzy06
2006-07-07, 02:43 PM
It just a an install of Revit. The only difference though is that you set it to demo version which makes it the viewer. Hope this helps!:beer:
Yes, thanks. :beer:

Erm... one last stupid question... Can it be set back from Demo? Just want to be sure before trying.

Elmo
2006-07-07, 02:46 PM
Macwizzy why would you want to do that? Rather just install it on another pc to test it. This way you don't mess with things as they are.

macwizzy06
2006-07-07, 03:28 PM
:roll: Ok, ok... I thought it was a stupid question too.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-07, 04:35 PM
Yes, thanks. :beer:

Erm... one last stupid question... Can it be set back from Demo? Just want to be sure before trying.Yes you can go back and forth. Just make sure you have your license information handy before you do!!!