PDA

View Full Version : Create template from complete project

jcarrillo.75185
2006-07-06, 08:46 PM
is there a way to do some sort of "saveas" and create a project template from a recently completed project?

i literally did a saveas, named it totally different from the original file and when i go close the file it prompts me to save to central.

can i get rid of the linking back to central option?

archjake
2006-07-06, 09:55 PM
When you open the file check the box that says "detach from central"

But... I think that when you have a worksets project you will have to save it as a new central file. There is a check box in the options button when you do a save as.

I believe that you can also save any project as a template file. Not sure if you can still do that once you enable worksets.

Hope that helps.

Haden
2006-07-06, 10:27 PM
I believe that you can also save any project as a template file. Not sure if you can still do that once you enable worksets..
With a workset-enabled file, that option still comes up under File -- Saveas.
The "Saveas Type" picklist includes: "template files (*.rte)"

What you CANNOT do is save a family file as a family template file. (Don't ask me why.) You have to save the family as an .rfa and then close, and rename the *.rfa to an *.rft file. (I did this at one point because I was tired of having to always go into the project units in the family file and check the "suppress 0 feet" checkbox.)

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-07, 03:33 AM
You can not turn on Worksets in a Template file... this will need to be done after a new Project has been created.

Haden
2006-07-07, 10:24 PM
You can not turn on Worksets in a Template file... this will need to be done after a new Project has been created.
I'm fine with waiting to enable the template, but my problem is I have existing projects that I would like to make into templates, but those projects already have worksets enabled.

Now that I check, I got this message after I hit save:
file:///E:/Library/CAD4-Documentation/Revit-Problems/template-worksets-message.JPG

So, I guess that's a good question for the factory. Is there a way to take a WORKSET ENABLED project and make it into a template?

Haden
2006-07-07, 10:25 PM
I'm fine with waiting to enable the template, but my problem is I have existing projects that I would like to make into templates, but those projects already have worksets enabled.

Now that I check, I got this message after I hit save:

Worksharing may not be enabled for Template Files (*.rte)

So, I guess that's a good question for the factory. Is there a way to take a WORKSET ENABLED project and make it into a template?

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-07, 11:10 PM
If you follow Hadens suggestion you'll create a new file without Worksets and you should be able to save that one as a template...

Haden
2006-07-08, 05:02 PM
But if I have a workset-enabled project file containing everything I want, I don't know of a way to "de-workset-ify" it.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-08, 06:01 PM
Try "When you open the file check the box that says "detach from central"" as mentioned above... this "should" give you a copy of the central without worksets... I haven't tried it myself but I think this will work.

Archman
2006-07-08, 07:03 PM
Detach from central does not create a new file without worksets. It simply does what it says, it detaches the opened file from the central file so any edits made to the newly opened file will have no effect on the central file. If you save the "detached from central" file, then it becomes a central file.

There is no way to "deworksetize" a central file after worksharing has been enabled. In fact Revit warns you of this when you enable worksharing.

You also cannot create a template file from a workset enabled file.

Try this instead:

1. Open you central file, detaching from central.
2. Click File|Save to Library|Save Views
3. In the dialog box, check all the available views
4. When the save dialog comes up, save the file to your templates location, making sure you specify the template file type in the "files of type" dropdown.
5. You should now have a template file you can use.

This worked well for me on a relatively simple building model with worksets enabled. However it used tremendous system resources. I would hypothesize that there is a limit to the size of model that this method will work for, given today's hardware capabilities.

Hope that helps.

ejc
2006-08-03, 03:05 AM
You could start a new project with a minimal or "none" template, the "Transfer Project Standards" for the existing project to the "none" project.

The only things you couldn't bring over would be:

-Elevations - Use Copy/Paste

-Levels with plan references - You would have to recreate those.

-Sheet configurations. You can use the "Insert from file". This will copy any sheet as long as it has no "model" view currently inserted. Drafting only views (details) would probably work.

-Schedules - Insert from file - views.

I hope I am not barking up the wrong tree.

Good luck,

ejc

elizabethr835879
2017-12-22, 01:17 AM
You can 'deworksetize' the file.

You detach from central as stated below - but you choose the 'disgard worksets' option instead of preserving the worksets. Then you are able to save the existing revit project as a template (.rte).

Detach from central does not create a new file without worksets. It simply does what it says, it detaches the opened file from the central file so any edits made to the newly opened file will have no effect on the central file. If you save the "detached from central" file, then it becomes a central file.

There is no way to "deworksetize" a central file after worksharing has been enabled. In fact Revit warns you of this when you enable worksharing.

You also cannot create a template file from a workset enabled file.

Try this instead:

1. Open you central file, detaching from central.
2. Click File|Save to Library|Save Views
3. In the dialog box, check all the available views
4. When the save dialog comes up, save the file to your templates location, making sure you specify the template file type in the "files of type" dropdown.
5. You should now have a template file you can use.

This worked well for me on a relatively simple building model with worksets enabled. However it used tremendous system resources. I would hypothesize that there is a limit to the size of model that this method will work for, given today's hardware capabilities.

Hope that helps.