PDA

View Full Version : View Parameters, Project Browser and View Templates

phyllisr
2006-07-06, 09:43 PM
Attached is an image of our steps to insure new views inherit the properties we prefer. We have created a View Type parameter to organize the Project Browser. It works effectively and successfully. We would like new views (for example, adding level lines for a high rise and creating new plans) to automatically have the View Type assigned. We would like all new views to automatically have a View Type (even if it is nothing more than Default). We want to eliminate the irritating ??? for every new view. We have created the view types in our template and assigned them to new views of the same type. Yet when we create another view either in the template or a new project, the View Type remains populated with ???.

Does this mean a custom parameter cannot populate a View Template automatically? Is there a way to do this? Is there something we have missed with the things we have done? We do have a View List and it is not difficult to change them after the fact but it is an extra step we would like to avoid.

Thank you.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-07, 03:38 AM
You and I are definitely barking up the same tree!

Unfortunately no... though I wish they did too for exactly the same reasons.

Out of curiosity, did you consider a more "generic" term for your View Type (Overall, Enlarged, Partial, etc.)? If so, what took you down the path of using the scale? We've started down the generic approach and just wondering what others are thinking.

dbaldacchino
2006-07-07, 03:55 AM
I'm using a mix of divisions for plan views etc. When in documentation, those views that go on sheets are categorized in a folder named with the sheet prefix. So Ai views go under the Ai folder, AP in the AP folder etc. I keep a "Working Views" folder for everything we need to work, an Export folder for...you guessed it. All other view types follow this reasoning and so far, it seems to work and is understood.

phyllisr
2006-07-07, 02:33 PM
Out of curiosity, did you consider a more "generic" term for your View Type (Overall, Enlarged, Partial, etc.)? If so, what took you down the path of using the scale?
Interesting question. We did begin with generic categories but based on how we worked, scale made the most sense as a "default." I created section and elevation tags to sort at the first level generically (it took me forever to figure out how to get plan details in a separate category but finally determined a work-around). We do not have a "standard" browser organization after the first level. Gets to project type - some methods work for phased projects that are different. Tenant Improvement is different than a new high-rise. Multi-family uses different methods. I am trying hard to use Revit as an opportunity to develop Best Practices and keep Standards to a minimum. Since we do not have the ADT nightmare with file and folder locations, this gives me and my team a way to be something other than CAD Cops. Sections (Temp) was a solution to everyone creating sections all the time just to see what they were doing - got confusing to know what belonged on sheets and what we could delete if someone forgot.

Image attached of a dummy project where I threw in a bunch of sections, elevations and callouts so you can see what I did. This method means I can have a scaled-down elevation tag for teeny interior casework areas and detail sections. Hope this helps.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-08, 12:47 AM
Nice! I'm stealing that... and maybe doing it one better.

When I'm looking at plans I think it would be helpful to know which sections are temporary so I modified a section head to include the word TEMP instead of the SIM tag and defined my Temporary section mark to use this head and no tail. It's not bad... I had wanted to change the color of the head so it would stand out more but since the head links to the View it remains blue.

I think Monday I'll experiment with other ways of identifying the various callouts graphically... whether through color, geometry or text. If there are any ideas out there feel free to pass the along.

tmontgomery415692
2012-08-02, 08:38 PM
When starting a Revit project, what is the first thing to do? Do I Insert all other disciplines links, create levels to match, I keep getting so many warnings with my views. What it is the standard procedures to get started adding my data devices to the Arch Links?

Thanks to anyone who will and can help!