PDA

View Full Version : Scroll Button Pan is Wacky!

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-05, 02:05 AM
I don't care for the way the scroll button pan works in AutoCAD 2005. It seems jumpy and hard to control. Is there a way to make it more like it was in AutoCAD 2002?

RobertB
2004-06-05, 02:10 AM
Not that I am aware of. You might try dropping the ViewRes, but that likely won't affect it.

dhallett
2004-06-09, 02:54 PM
Have you checked the ZOOMFACTOR setting? This sets the incremental change as you roll the mouse wheel.

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-11, 09:14 PM
Thanks but the zoomfactor system variable is not it. I haven’t used AutoCAD since 2002 but the old scroll wheel button used to bring up that little hand that you could pan your drawings around the screen with. In 2005 the scroll wheel button pan is more dynamic and erratic. Also if you turn off the scroll bars to gain more screen real estate then the scroll wheel button ceases to work as a pan an acts as a zoom. I have to say that I really hate this.

RobertB
2004-06-12, 12:23 AM
Something is odd on your end. AutoCAD 2005 lets me zoom in/out with the wheel (scroll bars are off, I hate 'em) and clicking and holding the wheel allows me to pan.

IntelliMouse Explorer w/IntelliPoint.

bbapties
2004-06-14, 12:06 PM
"mbuttonpan" variable maybe??

arcadia_x27
2004-06-14, 12:20 PM
It could very well depend on the type of mouse youre using. On some of the newer Logitech models for example the setings for the mouse wheel when used with Autocad are not the default zoom and pan that most people are used to. It may be a matter of setting the Mouse Wheel settings to a different configuration

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-14, 07:31 PM
It could very well depend on the type of mouse youre using. On some of the newer Logitech models for example the setings for the mouse wheel when used with Autocad are not the default zoom and pan that most people are used to. It may be a matter of setting the Mouse Wheel settings to a different configuration
You are right! - I have a new Logitech mouse at work. When I tried AutoCAD on my home computer the scroll wheel button worked as expected. Now I just have to decipher the Logitech software...

bhmpe
2004-06-16, 03:13 AM
Hi, did you figure out how to get your Logitech mouse to work with 2005? I'm having the same issue with the jumpy panning button.

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-16, 10:27 PM
I tried downloading the latest Logitech drivers and also the MouseWare Advanced Settings program. I experimented with every available setting. Nothing seems to fix it. Logitech's help file says to ask the CAD software manufacturer to solve this problem. Running out of hope…:banghead:

chadwickt
2004-06-17, 02:49 PM
I had this same problem a while back.
Try going into your mouse setting in the Control Panel.
I have the wheel set to "Middle Button"
Autoscroll and Universal Scroll both gave me the weird jumpy panning.

The wheel still works fine in every other program that I use (including Inventor) after making this change...

Hope that helps!

Scott Hopkins
2004-06-17, 04:57 PM
Chadwickt

That did the trick - Thanks for the tip! I thought I had tried all the possible settings but I didn't see the "middle button" setting. Thanks a lot! :grin:

chadwickt
2004-06-17, 05:39 PM
Glad that helped! I struggled forever with that and tried countless options until I got it to work.
-Tracy

catkins
2004-06-23, 08:15 PM
The wheel on my mouse zooms when scrolled and pans when held down....ACAD 2002 it worked great, but now with 2004, the pan works fine but the zoom works some of the time. I can be in the middle of the zoom and then it changes to scroll. the drawings only moves up and down and left to right... this is very frustrating!! To get it back to zoom, I either have to close and then open the dwg again or ctrl-tab to other drawings, zoom in each of the drawings and then when I come back around to the one I am working on, it goes back to zoom....very inconsistent....It's driving me NUTS!!! Help!!

Thanks....

Chad

RobertB
2004-06-24, 04:59 AM
Turn off the scroll bars in the AutoCAD window. Who needs 'em with a wheel mouse?

Mike.Perry
2004-06-24, 09:12 AM
Hi

Check out the following Technical Documents on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS74883 - Wheel mouse zooms or scrolls drawing window when text window is active (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3003007&linkID=2475323)

ID: TS72578 - Unable to zoom using mouse wheel (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2891005&linkID=2475323)

Have a good one, Mike

rick
2004-07-07, 07:04 PM
Chad - Don't know if it will help but another in this office was having the exact same problem. We ran across your post while researching answers. Nothing found here or elsewhere seemed to help, although many suggestions were tried. She then downloaded (again) the latest Microsoft mouse drivers. There was a Troubleshoot section with AutoCAD specific symptoms. She clicked the one which described her (and your) ill-behavior, and the answer came back: "Problem fixed." Well, it turns out that the problem was fixed. The bad part is that there was no indication of what was actually done, what setting was changed, etc. That's all I can tell you.

thomas.stright
2004-07-08, 10:27 AM
Hi, did you figure out how to get your Logitech mouse to work with 2005? I'm having the same issue with the jumpy panning button.

When using the lastest driver, Set the middle button in the mouseware to autoscroll, It will then work as a middlebutton in Acad.

knoble
2004-07-23, 12:56 PM
Do you know what variable tells acad whether to scroll or zoom when using the wheel? Sometimes when I start acad, the wheel will zoom, sometimes it will pan....please help!

Mike.Perry
2004-07-23, 01:49 PM
Hi

What you do with the mouse-wheel should determine if it Pan's or Zoom's -

Pan -> Hold & Drag the mouse-wheel (Check out system variable MButtonPan)

Zoom -> Roll the mouse-wheel backwards & forwards (Check out system variable ZoomFactor)

+

Check out the following Technical Document on the Autodesk web site under the Knowledge Base section -

ID: TS72578 - Unable to zoom using mouse wheel (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2891005&linkID=2475323)

Have a good one, Mike

browhaus
2004-10-08, 08:58 PM
I've read through this thread and I understand the frustration that is going on with the wheel...and the answers posted here don't seem to address the problem I am having, unless I am misreading the passages.

We have some computers that are using brand new logitech optical wheel mice. The problem we are having is with the pan. The zoom (in and out works fine), however, when we try to hold the middle button and pan we get varying effects depending upon what we set the wheel to....however, of the settings I have tried none have given us the desired solution of pan (with the hand icon). Is it a function of middle button or auto-scroll or universal scroll or is something else going on.

I hope I am not asking something that has already been clarified, but I can definitely use the help.

Thank you everyone.

browhaus

Glenn Pope
2004-10-08, 09:02 PM
In you mouse setting, I think is should be set to middle button.