PDA

View Full Version : Gabion Mat how to?

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-07, 12:05 AM
How would you go about create a Gabion Mat wall? 2 problems:
1. how would you create a hatch pattern that represents the wire mesh and the rubble behind?
2. how would you create a "running bond" of mats? I thought that i could use a curtain wall, but i can't figure out how to offset the courses? I dont want individual piece becasue i have a large wall.

Can anyone help me on this one?

Thanks

Justin

archjake
2006-07-07, 02:02 AM
I used 2 types of walls. One for the mesh and the other for the stone infill. This allowed me to render the wall and make it look like a real gabion wall. The mesh wall had transparency that would allow the rock in-fill show through if they were separate walls. I tried making the layers in the same wall type, but it wouldn't show the stone infill. Its probably has something to do with how AccuRender figures only the visible face and ignores the interior layers.

You could probably use one of the masonry patters to get your running bond, but I don't know how you would show that and your stone infill without a lot of work, or a custom pattern.

Good luck.

I attached my gabion walls, but I no longer have the materials for rendering it.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-07, 03:30 AM
you can make a custom hatch pattern to display the mesh and the stones (just copy and paste two .PAT files together)

as for the wall itself... if you want to model the wall as individual blocks (which is what it sounds like you're wanting) you should be able to use a series of nested Curtain Walls... though you will probably have to swap out or modify the offset of every-other row (I can see it in my head but I'm not sure how to explain it... and I'm not at work to play)

good luck and let us know what you come up with... I'm sure others (meaning me of course) could benefit from your hard work <grin>

tomnewsom
2006-07-07, 11:23 AM
I reckon curtain wall is the best way.
Make the vertical grid lines space at 1/2 block centers, then in elevation, select the gridline and use add/remove segments to turn off every other row. A bit fiddly, but it gives you plenty of freedom in block size and you can go to town in the curtain panel family.

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-07, 04:20 PM
I used 2 types of walls. One for the mesh and the other for the stone infill. This allowed me to render the wall and make it look like a real gabion wall. The mesh wall had transparency that would allow the rock in-fill show through if they were separate walls. I tried making the layers in the same wall type, but it wouldn't show the stone infill. Its probably has something to do with how AccuRender figures only the visible face and ignores the interior layers.

You could probably use one of the masonry patters to get your running bond, but I don't know how you would show that and your stone infill without a lot of work, or a custom pattern.

Good luck.

I attached my gabion walls, but I no longer have the materials for rendering it.
I like this approach and probably would be the easiest, but how do you show the different cages? Model lines to seperate them?

Justin

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-07, 04:55 PM
here is my first attempt using the help from above. Gabion curtain wall with a transparent mesh grid and removing grid segments to make a running bond apperance.

comments welcome.

Thanks

Justin

archjake
2006-07-07, 05:07 PM
A gabion family may be appropriate. Modular and just stack them up like building blocks.

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-07, 05:25 PM
i thought of that but i did not want to have to stack them, especially if the wall curves. too much rotate copy move.

Justin