PDA

View Full Version : how to make a much smaller file in 3d

jlizann
2006-07-07, 02:31 AM
hello.
I am about to create an interior 3d model of a hardware depot that focuses on the fit out fixtures (high racking w/ gondolas having different profiles) using revit 8.1. I am also targeting to use the scheduling/count feature of revit towards the end of the project. But before that I need to make a plan on how I could possibly put all these things together without making the file too large. I am using 1gig memory btw.

PLs. advise. tnx.

Wes Macaulay
2006-07-07, 05:33 AM
You're in pretty good shape -- Revit's memory needs are about a 20:1 ratio between memory and file size. So if your file is 50Mb, you should have a gig of RAM for it. The OS uses at least 500-750Mb or more, so if your file goes above 25Mb, think about getting more RAM.

File size is not always linked to performance. Complex 3D objects seem to crank up the file size but may not affect overall performance. You can optimize your work several ways:

use components (families) wherever possible to reduce the number of objects in the file -- esp in the detailing end
minimize relationships (locked alignments and so on) between objects
If your project is the size of your average big box store, then you should get another gig of RAM. Make sure OpenGL is on and overlay planes off in your graphics settings under Options. And keep posting your questions here as you go...

:beer:

jlizann
2006-07-08, 03:46 AM
ic...actually i have made a similar project before and it was painful..hehe///..but i'll try not to commit the same mistakes as i have used families that are too detailed.shoul've simpliefied them b4 loading into the project.
anyways, tnx for the advice.