PDA

View Full Version : how to make a roof with the structure in place

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-08, 12:02 AM
I have this roof that i need to build where i have the structure in place. it is a steel frame so from grid to grid the main beams slope up and down, and the joist follow with it. the issue that i am having is that the slope is somewhat compond (meaning that the the joist bearing on one end is flat and the other end it sloped down, so the further you go down the slope, the more the slope is).

I dont know how to draw this. It seems that the roof can only slope in one direction and if i try sloping from a corner i don't get the correct slope along the edge. another eample is at a corner. the roof is the same elevation along 2 sides but slopes down to some elevation in the middle. the triangles won't hold the elevation at the 2 sides.

Anyone have any experience with this type of construction that could give me a hand?

Thanks

Justin

david.kingham
2006-07-08, 12:05 AM
Hopefully someone has a better solution but the only way I have found to do a warped roof is to create a roof in place using a blend

christo4robin
2006-07-08, 03:04 AM
You could also make the roof as a series of triangles. Make each a roof by footprint and use a slope defining arrow to set the high and low point of th eroof. This method requires that one edge of the roof object is dead horizontal, while the other two edges slope. Use join geometry to eliminate the line between objects in section views.

modulor
2006-07-08, 05:00 PM
I faked it and just left the roof flat on this project. A decision that is already haunting me; my consults have asked whether to follow my "schematic" building section or my fully annotized roof plan for heights.

I would love to model the entire 300,000 sf building, but I have to 'draw the line' somewhere.

Anyway, a warpy roof object that can host structural framing components would be a great tool in the next release.

Erik

modulor
2006-07-08, 09:40 PM
Funny, the new AugiWorld came today with an article discussing this.
However, even if you create a warped roof using blends, how would you insert a skylight so that it stays parallel to joists?

Erik

Justin Marchiel
2006-07-09, 07:19 PM
You could also make the roof as a series of triangles. Make each a roof by footprint and use a slope defining arrow to set the high and low point of th eroof. This method requires that one edge of the roof object is dead horizontal, while the other two edges slope. Use join geometry to eliminate the line between objects in section views.
That is what i tried origianlly but found quickly that i didn't always have one level edge and the slope arrow needed to be placed in a specific point to get the correct slope on the piece. so far it has not worked the way i want it to.

I might have to resort to the blend and at my roof my face.

Justin

dbaldacchino
2006-07-09, 10:06 PM
Hopefully someone has a better solution but the only way I have found to do a warped roof is to create a roof in place using a blend
This is the way to go....create a blend with the profile on one side and the other profile on the other and then create a floor by picking the resulting warped face of your mass element. There's really no other way except triangulating and sloping flat pieces.

Tom Weir
2006-07-10, 02:13 PM
Hi all,

Here is what to do:
1. Create the blended roof as David says. Add void forms into the blend for any skylight or mechanical openings in the roof . Trying to use flat plane techniques, like traingles, will not really work in this case since the bays are warpred.

2. Attach the columns to the underside of the blended roof.

3. Using 3d snapping attach the girders from column top to column top.

4. Using 3d snapping add your in-fill beams along the sloping girders.

That will do it for you. I am using Revit Structure 3 and am presuming that you have the 3d snapping function and the ability to attach the top of column tothe underside of dec in REvit Builiding 9.

Have a great day...

Tom Weir
Los Angeles

lleising
2007-11-14, 09:20 PM
I have a very similar instance. I would like to create a low sloped (flat) roof on a curved building. Basically a conical roof. I have created a Mass that is a sweeped profile for the roof, I have cut out some uniqe areas with voids. I was planning on then creating a roof from the face. Is this a good approach, or will I have difficulty later.

Thansk L

dbaldacchino
2007-11-14, 10:00 PM
Since this post was started (back in 2006), there were major improvements to help in modelling warped structure, namely the new roof editing tool. Now you can warp the slab by using the shape editing features.

Revitator
2007-11-15, 02:06 PM
The new warped slab tools are very useful, but do create a triangulated slab. That's great for lots of warped roofs, but perhaps not for a for a true conical roof.

For a simple conical roof, it is possible to drive the slope of the roof with a slope-defining curved edge. For more complex curved roofs, the roof by mass face technique that lliesing is proposing sound good, doesn't it?

david.kingham
2007-11-19, 05:53 PM
I have a very similar instance. I would like to create a low sloped (flat) roof on a curved building. Basically a conical roof. I have created a Mass that is a sweeped profile for the roof, I have cut out some uniqe areas with voids. I was planning on then creating a roof from the face. Is this a good approach, or will I have difficulty later.

Thansk L

Hey Luke, if you need any help with that give me a call or shoot me a pm, hope things are going good for ya out there!