PDA

View Full Version : Sill & Head Height....

aaronrumple
2006-07-10, 10:59 PM
This whole sill and head height is due for a major overhaul....

nigeld
2006-07-11, 03:18 AM
We like to have one head height for windows ie 2010 above floor level. Windows of varying height typically should all align at top of window with varying sill heights. We should be able to set a default for head height in the family -- (ADT could do it !).

Scott Hopkins
2006-07-11, 05:40 AM
This whole sill and head height is due for a major overhaul....
You can say that again! It gets even worse once you start nesting window families inside window families. Very very fussy - I might even go so far as to say buggy.

davidcobi
2006-09-11, 11:37 PM
I'm starting to have issues with this too. Don't know where to define the head height in a window family. Thought it might be the TOP reference plane but with nested families that doesn't seem to work. Problem file attached.

jcoe
2006-09-12, 01:44 AM
Since we are on the topic, maybe somebody can explain to me why my doors have a preset sill height of 3'-6". They are represented properly in plans and elevations and regardless of what I do to my families, I cannot seem to get the default to change when I load them into a project.

I also agree with the above statements. I usually build window families with default head heights. When the family is first loaded and placed, it seems to work well. But when I want to modify the positioning, it seems the Revit default sill height now determines the positioning and not my predefined head height.

Thanks for posting this Aaron.

Anthony.d
2006-09-12, 01:52 PM
I always make my head height to inside of window head so when the inside window trim is installed it will always align no matter which window type is used. This is presently very tricky. jest to verify I use interior elevations to align windows to wdw hd ref. plane.

ford347
2006-09-12, 02:01 PM
Head height is always default in typ. construction. Almost always the case. I quit worrying about this a long time ago when I discovered that almost any window you find in Revit comes in with some arbitrary position due to the sill height vs. head height. I just draw a ref. plane through my drawing at my desired head height and always go back and align to this. Gets kind of annoying, but I guess I've got used to it, so thanks for posting. I would love to see this one fixed. Going back to the construction issue, I do a lot of wood construction, and in a lot of cases, especially in residential, the header positions less top plates is the header height, so the head height is always known, so if we could control default, this would save some time in keeping everything the way we wanted it in all views and save the custom head or sill dimensions from family to family.

Josh

davidcobi
2006-09-12, 06:02 PM
Looks like the sill height is attached to the lowest point of your opening so to get the correct head height you can't block out a true rough opening height without out it affecting the sill height. Would be nice if the sill height were attached to the Sill reference plane instead of the lowest point of the opening.