PDA

View Full Version : Curtain wall problem

patricks
2006-07-11, 02:22 PM
I have several arch-top curtain wall windows in a project, and I need to create several curtain walls using the same shape, but with the panel set to the same surrounding wall type. These are "dummy" recessed panels to continue the same pattern down the wall, but I wanted to use a curtain wall type in order to cut my wainscot wall sweep. However, Revit seems to balk at having a curtain wall with a single panel and arched top set to anything other than glazing. I can have 2 vertical grids and then set all the panels to my wall type, but if I try to remove the grids it says "Can't make Wall". If it's set to glazing, I can remove the grids to leave one large glazed panel no problem.

See the attached file, if you remove either of the grids on the left curtain wall, you get an error message. Is there any way around this? I really need the single panel wall type as a curtain wall to cut a wainscot sweep.

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-11, 05:09 PM
Revit is smart enough to realize that the window is the same as the surrounding wall and chooses to make you build it as a wall. If you add mullions you don't get that error.
Try creating a wall style for the recessed panel (correct thickness, finish etc) and then editing the profile to match the window opening. Locate the recessed wall where it needs to be and do a join geometry with the overall wall.

patricks
2006-07-11, 05:46 PM
But it works fine if there's no arched top, as you could see on the right side of my example. That's a curtain wall with a single panel, and I changed the panel to be the same wall type as the main wall and it worked just fine.

For now, what I've done is created a new solid panel that is the same as the surrounding wall, only problem is that it doesn't show all the layers of my main wall.

Firmso
2006-07-11, 10:50 PM
I have several arch-top curtain wall windows in a project, and I need to create several curtain walls using the same shape, but with the panel set to the same surrounding wall type. These are "dummy" recessed panels to continue the same pattern down the wall, but I wanted to use a curtain wall type in order to cut my wainscot wall sweep. However, Revit seems to balk at having a curtain wall with a single panel and arched top set to anything other than glazing. I can have 2 vertical grids and then set all the panels to my wall type, but if I try to remove the grids it says "Can't make Wall". If it's set to glazing, I can remove the grids to leave one large glazed panel no problem.

See the attached file, if you remove either of the grids on the left curtain wall, you get an error message. Is there any way around this? I really need the single panel wall type as a curtain wall to cut a wainscot sweep.

Try creating the window with three parts curtain wall. Meaning you have to place three curtain wall together to form the window you want then group them.