PDA

View Full Version : Curved Walls & Windows

hgrigel
2006-07-11, 04:28 PM
I am currently working on a project with a cylindrical space. The cylinder has a 30' radius and I am trying to place a glass block window in the curved wall. However, the window is of such a size (basically a quarter of the cylinder circumference) that when I place it, it runs basically at a 45 to the curved wall, where the middle portion of the window goes completely beyond the thickness of the wall.
I tried creating an in place window along the curve of the wall, but was unsuccessful. I also tried to create a new family, but windows default to wall based and the wall is a straight wall. I cannot figure out how to make the wall curved in the family.
Any ideas or suggestions?

Dimitri Harvalias
2006-07-11, 04:39 PM
Curtain Wall or curtain system perhaps?

dhurtubise
2006-07-11, 05:01 PM
In place will do it. See the attach post.

hgrigel
2006-07-11, 05:12 PM
Thank you for sharing the curved window. I actually tried to get your curved window: curved window.rfa to work, but the radius of my curved wall is such and combined with the width of the window 23' 6" are resulting in the window only cutting through part of the wall (see attached jpg).

dhurtubise
2006-07-11, 05:13 PM
That's an in-place window, not a family

hgrigel
2006-07-11, 05:32 PM
Sorry I did not notice the ".rvt" at the end of your post. I had already downloaded a post from someone else that, consequently, was also named "curved window," but it was an .rfa. I apologize for the confusion. I will see what I can do with your post. This looks much more promising. Thank you for taking the time to help me with this.

dhurtubise
2006-07-11, 05:34 PM
With pleasure. Welcome to AUGI.

hgrigel
2006-07-11, 05:45 PM
The inplace window worked. I had tried to create an inplace window earlier, but I had left out the cut geometry step. It was my first attempt at an in place window. Looking at your example helped me figure it out and create my own in place window correctly. Thank you for sharing.

patricks
2006-07-11, 05:54 PM
On a recent project I created a curtain system type to use for glass blocks, and it works in both straight runs or curved walls just fine.

frank.graham
2006-10-31, 05:17 PM
I really like what you did with the curved glass block wall. I have a similar wall type but it is more of a curtain wall than glass block. My questions is what is cutting the hole in the wall? I have always had to create an opening in the wall and then go back and infill the hole with curtain wall. Which is not the most friendly way. So what is the trick to make the curtain wall cut its own opening???