PDA

View Full Version : Tile Wainscoting

pwilson.112560
2006-07-11, 05:04 PM
Hi All -

First time poster here. I'm attempting to create a tile wall that only extends up to 5'-0" in a bathroom, with gyp board above; I only care about how it looks in elevation, not in section. I'm attempting to edit the structure and split the finish on the wall. I can split the finish, but I can't select the top part to change it to gyp board.

I know this can be done, as I've seen it in similar threads, but I can't make it work for the life of me. Help!

Many Thanks,
Peter

sbrown
2006-07-11, 05:10 PM
There is a help file on this. Basically after you split the layer in section, you click on you finish layer(in the box that you define the various layers, and insert a new one above your first finish layer. Then click the asign layer button and highlight the new material then pick your gyp portion.

Firmso
2006-07-11, 11:00 PM
Hi All -

First time poster here. I'm attempting to create a tile wall that only extends up to 5'-0" in a bathroom, with gyp board above; I only care about how it looks in elevation, not in section. I'm attempting to edit the structure and split the finish on the wall. I can split the finish, but I can't select the top part to change it to gyp board.

I know this can be done, as I've seen it in similar threads, but I can't make it work for the life of me. Help!

Many Thanks,
Peter

What I would do is create a wall style (Generic Wall: 'Size' Cer Tile 5ft) for my wall tiles and place it up adjacent to my gyp wall with a height of only five feet.

bpayne
2006-07-12, 05:58 PM
I've gone around in circles with this issue...and at the end of the day I still prefer a 60" Tile profile, that I sweep along the walls that I need it.

The negative: Doesn't tag if you are doing wall tags, but then again...does it really need to?

Firmso
2006-07-12, 10:27 PM
I've gone around in circles with this issue...and at the end of the day I still prefer a 60" Tile profile, that I sweep along the walls that I need it.

The negative: Doesn't tag if you are doing wall tags, but then again...does it really need to?

Let's say your tile wainscot profile needs to pass over an opening in the wall, say a window opening, will your profile automatically cut an opening when joining geometry with your wall?
I haven't tried yet, so I really don't know.

bpayne
2006-07-12, 10:32 PM
Actually it will, just not the file i previously attached.

When designing a sweep, it is really important to know where the path is in elevation. The sweep will cut only when the path is cut by a window or a door.
Example if your sweep is at 0'-0" , then usually only doors will cut the sweep. If however you design the sweep path to be at 60" any door or window that passes through 60" AFF will cut it!

bpayne
2006-07-12, 10:35 PM
So...as a general rule...keep the insertion point at the top of your wainscots and you'll be happy!

Firmso
2006-07-12, 11:13 PM
So...as a general rule...keep the insertion point at the top of your wainscots and you'll be happy!

No, Thanks anyway. I don't like the idea of messing with walls that have that profile attached to it. Especialy if that wall continuous beyond the intersecting wall that uses the same profile. I think I have more control of where I need the tiles placed my way.
But like like everyone says..." if it aint' broke, don't fix it".
Cheers

bpayne
2006-07-12, 11:16 PM
"You don't understand me"....You don't mess with the walls, just the height of the plane that you are drawing your sweep path on.

P.S. You don't have to add the sweep to the wall, create a inplace family!

Firmso
2006-07-12, 11:20 PM
"You don't understand me"....You don't mess with the walls, just the height of the plane that you are drawing your sweep path on.

P.S. You don't have to add the sweep to the wall, create a inplace family!

But, don't you need to pick the walls to place the profile?
Or, is there another way ?

bpayne
2006-07-12, 11:24 PM
In plan view.....create a inplace family....solid form..solid sweep...sketch 2d path....rectangular line tool.....pick opposite corners of the room....finish path....select profile(if already loaded)...finish sweep...done!

(Yes this assumes your room is rectangular)

Firmso
2006-07-12, 11:34 PM
In plan view.....create a inplace family....solid form..solid sweep...sketch 2d path....rectangular line tool.....pick opposite corners of the room....finish path....select profile(if already loaded)...finish sweep...done!

(Yes this assumes your room is rectangular)

What confused me is your initial response. What was the attachment for?
You could have just explained it right there and then.
Anyhow, yes, that'll work also, but I wouldn't attach something to a wall that wouldn't behave as one either. Except for cabinets and sorts, of course.
That's just me.

bpayne
2006-07-12, 11:37 PM
The attachment is a profile that I load into my project, so that I don't have to redraw the same profile again and again as I create tile wainscot for each of the rooms that require it.

Firmso
2006-07-12, 11:43 PM
The attachment is a profile that I load into my project, so that I don't have to redraw the same profile again and again as I create tile wainscot for each of the rooms that require it.

Well done. I probably will give it a shot on my next project and see how that'll work out.
Rep approval from me.....

bpayne
2006-07-12, 11:45 PM
no problem

patricks
2006-07-13, 02:32 PM
Actually it will, just not the file i previously attached.

When designing a sweep, it is really important to know where the path is in elevation. The sweep will cut only when the path is cut by a window or a door.
Example if your sweep is at 0'-0" , then usually only doors will cut the sweep. If however you design the sweep path to be at 60" any door or window that passes through 60" AFF will cut it!

If you set the sweep to be cuttable, then any insert will cut out of the profile, no matter where the sweep path is located.

dpollard909366
2006-07-13, 03:06 PM
I'm confused... Can't you just simply use the "split face" tool and use the paint bucket to drop the tile pattern in the desired area.