PDA

View Full Version : Title block questions

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-11, 08:15 PM
I have two questions as I try to get our title blocks ported over.
1: How do you get text to align with other things? When I move a piece of text I get some alignment indications (green dashed lines above or to the justified side of the text), but they don't seem to actually align with anything that actually exists in the drawing. Also, I would like to actually put the text at an exact dimension from a line, but I can't seem to reference the actual text, just the box extents, which seems to not be controllable.
(2): Can you do anything to make the Title Block lines of a title block non printing? When doing half size and 11X17 reduced prints I often get those lines printing and throwing off margins.
(edit) I was doing something goofy while selecting. I tried again and indeed my change to Invisible Lines is sticking now. Before it seemed to revert right back to Title Blocks)

Thanks,
Gordon

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-11, 08:43 PM
1) Alignment can be a little fussy, if you want to be really precise, you can left align your text and actually draw a line and match the text up to the line and then get rid of it afterwards, otherwise the dashed green indicator is meant to be your snap alignment tool.

2) For no-plot lines, I have created a subcategory within the Titleblock family called "guide lines" (whatever you want) and then within the project, we use the guidelines to line up things like details, then once the sheet is set up, just go into view properties and turn off that particular subcategory under the titleblock category.

Hope that is helpful.

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-11, 09:24 PM
1) Alignment can be a little fussy, if you want to be really precise, you can left align your text and actually draw a line and match the text up to the line and then get rid of it afterwards, otherwise the dashed green indicator is meant to be your snap alignment tool.

2) For no-plot lines, I have created a subcategory within the Titleblock family called "guide lines" (whatever you want) and then within the project, we use the guidelines to line up things like details, then once the sheet is set up, just go into view properties and turn off that particular subcategory under the titleblock category.

Hope that is helpful.

Danielle,
thanks for the info. On the text alignment, I assume you are eyeballing the text to the guideline? If not, how are you doing it. I can't seem to get the actual text to relate to anything, just the box. I fihnally gave up and eyeballed, but that is a habit I loath to let back into the building! ;)
As for the Title Block, I managed to get the lines defining the edge of the page to change to the Invisible line type, so I see them but they don't plot. So far that is working. Now I just need to get a revision tavble to look right.

Best,
Gordon

DanielleAnderson
2006-07-11, 09:37 PM
Danielle,
thanks for the info. On the text alignment, I assume you are eyeballing the text to the guideline? If not, how are you doing it. I can't seem to get the actual text to relate to anything, just the box. I fihnally gave up and eyeballed, but that is a habit I loath to let back into the building! ;)
As for the Title Block, I managed to get the lines defining the edge of the page to change to the Invisible line type, so I see them but they don't plot. So far that is working. Now I just need to get a revision tavble to look right.

Best,
Gordon

If you place one label or chunk of text, any others will align vertically or horizontally to it with that dashed green line, with that, you are not eye balling, you are snapping. But - you have to set up that first piece of text or there is nothing for Revit to reference for alignment. If you choose to do the whole draw-a-line-then-erase-it, then yes, you are eye balling.
I'm not a huge fan of the invisible line type in titleblocks because in my experience it is only visible if you scroll over it, that's why I create an extra subcategory that I am free to turn on and off, that's just a personal preference thing though.

Kevin Janik
2007-04-20, 07:06 PM
I have used the invisible lines and agree. The question I have is that we have a few different layout lines types depending on the sheet type. We could create lines on different sheet type catagories and then turn them on and off. Can we somehow use visibility toggles to do the same things easier per sheet. The other idea is to use nested linked layout lines families into the titleblock family and then we can use some similar controls.

I have also heard that nested families are great but sometimes they can create a bunch of overhead in a project that can cause problems especially with a bunch of instances.

What would be the best practice for this?

Kevin

Kevin Janik
2007-04-24, 01:47 AM
Isn't there someone out there with some information?

Kevin

Teresa.Martin
2007-04-24, 05:03 AM
Hi!
So...on text the little green alignment lines are the best that you can do...unless you align all text in Autocad first...I.E. Set up your titleblock in Autocad with TTF fonts, etc. Change everything to layer 0. Bring in the Titleblock to a Revit Titleblock family. Explode and erase linetype 0 under object styles. Everything will go to the linetype - Title blocks. Or you can trace over the linework...Your choice. This is the only way to get the text exactly where you want it.
In regards to non-plotting lines...If you make them a very light gray or blue they will generally fade out or not plot at all (depending upon your type of plotter).

I hope some of this helps!

Best regards,

Kevin Janik
2007-04-24, 11:48 PM
I have used the invisible lines and agree. The question I have is that we have a few different layout lines types depending on the sheet type. We could create lines on different sheet type catagories and then turn them on and off. Can we somehow use visibility toggles to do the same things easier per sheet. The other idea is to use nested linked layout lines families into the titleblock family and then we can use some similar controls.

I have also heard that nested families are great but sometimes they can create a bunch of overhead in a project that can cause problems especially with a bunch of instances.

What would be the best practice for this?

Kevin

This is terrible, I am quoting myself. It might be worse than talking to myself!

Does anyone have input on creating lines on different sheet type catagories and then turn them on and off or using nested line families for layout lines of different type and using visibility toggles?

Kevin

jcdecastro
2007-04-25, 05:02 PM
My advice is make separate make separate files for each titleblock without the nested families. To me its a good trick but it seems like extra steps. Time is money.

But if you want too... You can make Generic Annotation files with the invisible lines with the different grids. Load into project.

In the titleblock, Select the grid and go to properties. On the right side of the word visible select the little button. Hit Add parameter. By type. Call it show grid 1. Repet steps to get a second grid: ......show grid 2.

Then make types in the titleblock and check on or off the girds as you like.

Kevin Janik
2007-04-26, 04:56 PM
Thanks for the help!

Do you think the nested families will add a bunch of overhead? Also, are you saying to load Generic Annotation families into the project or the titleblock family?

I am a bit confused

Kevin