PDA

View Full Version : Detail Component line based vs. Repeating detail

dbaldacchino
2006-07-11, 10:50 PM
I'm trying to figure out in what situations I'd want to do this family or use the repeating detail tool. From what I understand, the detail component line-based family can do exactly the same thing that the repeating detail tool can, correct? So why would I want to use it? Thanks.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-11, 11:53 PM
The repeating detail feature will involve less effort on your part since it just uses a detail component that you've already built. The line based detail components work better for things like plywood or gwb sections that don't have regular breaks or intervals. The repeating detail is better for those...just some thoughts.

Arnel Aguel
2006-07-12, 12:53 AM
Thanks Steve for your thought, I've been wondering these two families too for quite sometime as it seems that they serve the same purpose aside from few examples you mentioned.

modulor
2006-07-12, 04:10 AM
Repeating detail only works with 2D 'detail components'.
Line-based families allow repeating model components, like rafters or parking spaces.
check out www.revitfamilyman.com for examples.

Erik

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-12, 04:17 AM
Repeating detail only works with 2D 'detail components'.
Line-based families allow repeating model components, like rafters or parking spaces.
check out www.revitfamilyman.com (http://www.revitfamilyman.com/) for examples.

ErikThere are two line based family templates, one for detail components and one for generic model. I assumed David was most curious about the application of the detail component version for comparison sake, fwiw...

dbaldacchino
2006-07-12, 04:24 AM
You're correct Steve, my question is regarding the detail component line based family. The Generic Model line based has a ton of applications. The Detail component line based is view-specific, just like the repeating detail. I guess the main difference is that you can "stretch" things in the D.C. line based family, while with the repeating detail tool you cannot.

Revitator
2006-07-12, 01:18 PM
PMFJI, but the line-based family does seem to give you more flexibility than the repeating detail. You can embed several different arrays of detail components within one line-based family, and you can constrain other geometry to the two endpoints. So you can make a line-based component with arrays and lines-that-stretch in the middle, and 'finials' at either end.

I've attached a little test family. The array, box and lines flex with the Length parameter, while the finial circles remain attached to the ends of the component. I'm sure someone can come up with a more practical example.

dbaldacchino
2006-07-12, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the reply. Yes that clearly explains the differences/possibilities between the two. For things that repeat at the same intervals, such as coursing joints in section for instance, the repeating detail command is just as good and quicker than using the line based family. This example clearly illustartes what cannot be done with the R.D. tool.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-12, 07:53 PM
In my earlier reply when I said, "less effort" I was really saying, "without getting into the family editor and arrays" etc. The line based family has much more potential than the Repeating Detail feature.

dbaldacchino
2006-07-12, 07:55 PM
...and I have not gotten into arrays yet, so I wasn't aware of a major benefit of that family. I have seen arrays in louver familes etc., but never used them myself yet.

ford347
2006-07-13, 02:01 AM
I like the line based for simple things as mentioned before i.e. gwb, plywood etc....the only think I don't like about it is I can never remember which side of the ref. plane in the family I drew my geometry on, and hitting the space bar won't flip the geometry to the opposing side....but if that's all I have to worry about.......

dbaldacchino
2006-07-22, 03:25 PM
Well if you're using the repeating detail command, you can flip something while inserting by hitting the spacebar, but not after inserting. After inserting you'd have to use the mirror command

I have built some 2d line based families and I'm pretty sure I won't be using repeating detail from now on! First of all I like being able to see them in the family section of the project browser. You can add so many features, like instance visibility settings etc. that you cannot have with repeating detail. And you can add flip arrows. You can do some nifty wall tie families with multiple arrays for specific spacings that alternate (such as King size brick and CMU), adding base flashing and Mortar Net at the base etc. It's really slick and results in a really productive tool. I love it!!

asinko
2019-04-16, 09:48 PM
Hello, this thread is very old, but I'm wondering how you were able to get the array to remain constrained to the line-based family. When I upload it into my project the array doesn't change length while the component will. I tried doing this in Revit 18 and am not having the same results. I also, don't see a way to send my family on this forum for someone to look at.