PDA

View Full Version : quick way to get this mass

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-12, 01:47 PM
Attached picture shows a solid which can be easily created by Autocad / Microstation
or whatever 3d software. But in revit, how can we form such a mass easily ?
but blend and then void cut, void cut...., seems too time consuming.
Is there any wise workarounds that you know but I don't know of ?

thanks and looking forward to some responses .

Cheuk

sbrown
2006-07-12, 02:32 PM
Looks like a blend with voids cut out of it. Use the mass tool, draw you blend shape, top and bot., then cut voids out, then convert to walls and roofs. I'm not sure why this is time consuming, how do you do it quickly in the other softwares? You do know you can use workplanes, ie picking the faces of your mass to draw on, making this task very quick in my opininon. I think I could model what you show in 15 minutes, then convert to walls and roofs and have a documentable building in under 30 minutes.

AP23
2006-07-12, 03:13 PM
. I'm not sure why this is time consuming, how do you do it quickly in the other softwares?.

In most 3d software you can pull and push to get the shape. You can select the edges, faces, or vertices to get the blend shape. You need to do much more steps in Revit to get the same results including setting up workplanes etc.

dhurtubise
2006-07-12, 03:21 PM
But then again, like mr brown says, you get a model, not just a mass. Try to beat that ;-)

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-12, 04:32 PM
Push/pull is instant gratification with latent pain associated with making those pushes/pulls rational later. I seldom use the grips with Revit's solids/voids because they are not accurate adjustments of the elements. I only use them when I don't care about real numbers, or dragging to align/lock edges to other elements or reference planes.

Besides what is wrong with experimenting with shape in any other application that you like and then modelling the one you really want to build in Revit?

$0.02

dhurtubise
2006-07-12, 04:54 PM
hey Steve, how about i share that opinion, does that make it a $0.04 ?

brian104662
2006-07-12, 05:00 PM
You could also use the free version of sketchup from google. Make a mass in Sketchup and import it into a new mass family.

AP23
2006-07-12, 05:47 PM
Besides what is wrong with experimenting with shape in any other application that you like and then modelling the one you really want to build in Revit?

If you have the money and the time to purchase and learn all of those additional software, it wouldn't be a problem.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-12, 07:55 PM
If you have the money and the time to purchase and learn all of those additional software, it wouldn't be a problem.When people say it takes "seconds" to do things in other software one assumes they have the software?

Back on topic, the form described can easily been done in Revit, but "what" is it? A slice of cheese or a building? :smile: What are the little slices in the form? Strips of windows or openings/cavities?

One more thing, three walls and one roof with a slope arrow could create the form in as little time as massing it first. The "windows" could be storefront and done quickly as well.

cheukling125525.110216
2006-07-13, 05:44 AM
Thanks all.
It's in fact a part of a building. with all walls and roof sloping, there are
some window / door openings on the walls as well.

I 'm new in using revit (less than one year)
and really want to do that in Revit without the aids of other software.
But my problem is when forming a blend mass, the top and
bottom planes can only be flat, (i.e. associated with floor planes.)
this leads to only one sloping side is at the right angles ,
others are not, because I can set the hightest point as the blend height
and also I cannot form a void cut to take away excessive parts
easily and correctly.
Pls see attached picture for details.
Any help is much appreciated.

Local Revit Guru
2006-07-13, 06:20 AM
As previously stated you could use 3 walls and a roof. You need to use the Sloped glazing tool under the Roof tool menu for the sloping walls. This will make the walls into Curtain walls & then you can change the curtain wall panels to a solid panel/wall type. I haven't check but I think you can then cut holes in the sloped walls as you would with other walls using the EDIT PROFILE button when the wall is selected.

Modelling process are not that sophisticated in Revit but with creative thought you can model many shapes!

cheukling125525.110216
2006-07-15, 01:03 AM
thanks for your method provided.
but my problem is not generating the roof or angled walls from
the mass created.
Please note that the green object in my picture is done by other
software. I just want to know how you could create a mass
like this shape in revit from scratch.
How can you do that without any planes that you can rely on
to set your work planed correctly ?
See my picture again , you will notice that I cannot get the sloped
faces successfully.

Any reply is much appreciated.

dhurtubise
2006-07-15, 01:58 AM
How about that one, looks to me pretty much like yours. The holes can easily be done so i skipped them.

Local Revit Guru
2006-07-16, 11:29 PM
thanks for your method provided.
but my problem is not generating the roof or angled walls from
the mass created.
Please note that the green object in my picture is done by other
software. I just want to know how you could create a mass
like this shape in revit from scratch.
How can you do that without any planes that you can rely on
to set your work planed correctly ?
See my picture again , you will notice that I cannot get the sloped
faces successfully.

Any reply is much appreciated.

Well the way that you had described in your first post, was perfectly ok - with Solids via the Solid Blend Method & with voids perhaps aswell. It's not so slow as you suggested once you become used to the revit interface! My prior suggestions were based on converting the existing form which would have at that point, into more architectural component - no matter which program you created it in originally!

ron.sanpedro
2006-07-17, 01:42 AM
If you have the money and the time to purchase and learn all of those additional software, it wouldn't be a problem.

I think the point is, if you already know and own some other tool, there is nothing wrong with using it, then converting to Revit later. Just as there is nothing wrong with using cardboard models and pen & paper sketches for design, if that is what you are comfortable with.
But if you don't already own and know any other tools, then trying to model it in Revit makes sense. And if your form just can't be modeled in Revit, then you might have to buy and learn something else to get to that form.

Gordon

cheukling125525.110216
2006-07-17, 04:42 AM
How about that one, looks to me pretty much like yours. The holes can easily be done so i skipped them.

Daniel,
Your model looks similar to what I want.
could you upload your model so that I can study clearly
what's your workaround ?

thanks in advance.
Cheuk

dhurtubise
2006-07-17, 12:18 PM
It's a blend to get the basic shape, then a void, using again a blend, in elevation to cut it right. Took me about 5 mins. And i wouldnt use workaround to call it, it's honestly pretty straight forward modelling.
Beep me if you need more help.
Take care

Cheuk Ling
2006-07-17, 01:18 PM
Daniel,
Really thanks for your prompt reply and sample file.
I think I get the point and should be able to do that by Revit next time.

Best regards
Cheuk