PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about drawing standard details?

Jason
2006-07-13, 01:25 AM
When using Revit to draw standard 2D details, do you use templates or do you just draw it then import it into your projects. I did a drawing a draft mode but I cannot import it into other projects. Please help.

greg.mcdowell
2006-07-13, 01:32 AM
I think you first need to export the drafting view to a separate file first. If you right-click over the drafting view in the Project Browser I believe that it gives you an option of saving it out...

Firmso
2006-07-13, 01:44 AM
When using Revit to draw standard 2D details, do you use templates or do you just draw it then import it into your projects. I did a drawing a draft mode but I cannot import it into other projects. Please help.

What I do is draw the detail first in CAD and save it to our Standards Library Folder where every CAD/Revit operator have access to in our server. When the time arrives for the need, I just link it to my Revit Project under drafting view and trace over it, then drop it in onto the sheet. Then, I use linework to edit the lineweight to our specifications. After all that, I Save the detail to our Revit Detail Library for future reference. This way, we make sure we only spend time working on details that have potential to be used again in the future streamlining those that may be obsolete or won't be needing at all.
As far as the importing problem, You should import or link the drawing directly into your project and do the tracing there.
Hope this works.

ford347
2006-07-13, 01:51 AM
You can import views from a project by selecting the project when importing 2d views from the file menu. A dialog box will appear and you will be able to choose the views you wish to import. Drawing details in CAD is crazy! :) .............that's just cause I'm a Revit dude. I like the detail feature and find it extremely fast especially if you create good detail components and groups. As far as building a library, I would start a project for each type of of details you use i.e. roof, wall sections etc. and save that as your detail project, then when importing details, you would import from this project. You can save details out with 3d geometry or model geometry as well and make those items into 2d lines by way of exporting 2d. I've thought about creating a project for all 2d details and using some shared parameters etc., to organize the project browser by discipline, this way you could keep them all in one project and use that for import....but I don't know enough about project browser organization yet to do it.....but maybe it can be done. Hope this helps and if you use CAD, then that is your other option. Good times!:beer:

Jason
2006-07-13, 02:00 AM
You guys are awesome. Thanks for your help.

jamie.casile80054
2006-08-17, 08:42 PM
firmso,
i'm not sure if i'm understanding you, but i thought i'd let you know: you can explode your dwg details if they are imported and not linked. everything will become revit lines and text - edit as needed. its also easiest to pick a line (since they will be separated by layer name) and right click to select all instances, then just choose the right revit line weight.
hope this is helpful.
aloha,
jamie

Adam Mac
2006-08-17, 10:29 PM
I have "project" files in a specific location that are called something obvious relating to what they contain
e.g.: SOG Details (slab-on-ground)
and then within that file i save all my 2D details in named Drafting Views to indicate what they generally show AND what scale they're done in
eg: Edge beam/masonry wall_20

that way when i need a detail i simply use the
File > Insert from file > Views (or 2D elements)

to import them into my current project.

My 2c worth.

Firmso
2006-08-17, 10:38 PM
firmso,
i'm not sure if i'm understanding you, but i thought i'd let you know: you can explode your dwg details if they are imported and not linked. everything will become revit lines and text - edit as needed. its also easiest to pick a line (since they will be separated by layer name) and right click to select all instances, then just choose the right revit line weight.
hope this is helpful.
aloha,
jamie
Thanks jamie. I am aware of this explode feature of Revit, but being a user who came straight from acad I had always been careful of the Explode command and I was being just as cautious with it on Revit. It will probably take more for me to really feel comfortable exploding things just yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll get over it. Thanks again.

Tobie
2006-08-17, 11:12 PM
I have made a Drafting view called "Standard Drawings" and have all our standard details in there in our template. After we have placed all the relevant details you can delete the rest. It also means that you can edit a detail slightly for the different projects if needed.