PDA

View Full Version : Cut View with Match Lines

marcusmjohnson
2006-07-13, 04:55 AM
What is the best way to cut a large view with match lines on to separate sheets.

I have been copying the view then cropping each to only show the portion I want on that sheet but this seems archaic and can be a problem with printing because items like text are still visable outside the crop area.
Have I missed a Help chapter?

PS the Break Line Controls on the crop region does not help.

Firmso
2006-07-13, 05:39 AM
What is the best way to cut a large view with match lines on to separate sheets.

I have been copying the view then cropping each to only show the portion I want on that sheet but this seems archaic and can be a problem with printing because items like text are still visable outside the crop area.
Have I missed a Help chapter?

PS the Break Line Controls on the crop region does not help.

Sounds like the way I did my last project. Unfortunately with Revit, That's about all the choices we have for now. What I really want to see improved though is the matchline to be capable to reference the sheet where the other portion of the layout is situated.
Probably a good "Wishlist" item.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-13, 06:17 AM
I happen to like using a grid for a matchline, with no bubble, different linestyle and lineweight naturally. The fact that it shows up everywhere is very nice, one object for the same matchline location in all documents. You can use callouts to create the partial plans as well if you like having the annotation to guide those who are using your documents.

As for automatically annotating the matchline/grid to reference the view/sheet for the continuation...that might be many views/sheets for a single common matchline so which value should it show automatically. Seems like a bit too many variables.

Firmso
2006-07-13, 06:28 AM
I happen to like using a grid for a matchline, with no bubble, different linestyle and lineweight naturally. The fact that it shows up everywhere is very nice, one object for the same matchline location in all documents. You can use callouts to create the partial plans as well if you like having the annotation to guide those who are using your documents.

As for automatically annotating the matchline/grid to reference the view/sheet for the continuation...that might be many views/sheets for a single common matchline so which value should it show automatically. Seems like a bit too many variables.

Yes, Grids without bubbles is the one I use also, and like you said, just change the linestyle and color to make it look more like a matchline should. As for the reference value, I think just having the detail # / sheet # of the continuation sheet should be good enough.

marcusmjohnson
2006-07-13, 06:32 AM
Thanks Steve
I found your earlier posts and did just that.
It appears that the callout approach from a key plan would be the easier for plan and elevations if only all detail would copy to it.

DaveP
2006-07-14, 04:47 PM
We draw our Match Lines as a Detail Line and add the text. Then we Group the lines and text, Copy to Clipboard, and Paste Aligned to the other Views.

The slick thing about Paste Aligned is that you can pick Select Views by Name, and plop the Match Line Group onto a whole bunch of Views at once.

Steve_Stafford
2006-07-15, 04:24 AM
Seems like a lot of work compared to drawing one "grid" matchline.

davidcobi
2006-07-15, 04:58 AM
Our matchlines jog so detail lines with the paste aligned function does what we need.

jamie.casile80054
2007-06-30, 03:03 AM

steve,
we took your idea and made a matchline as a grid. now the consultants, who get exported acad dwg files want the exported matchlines and gridlines on separate layers. any ideas??
thanks,
jamie

Scott D Davis
2007-06-30, 04:17 PM
steve,
we took your idea and made a matchline as a grid. now the consultants, who get exported acad dwg files want the exported matchlines and gridlines on separate layers. any ideas??
thanks,
jamie
Tell them to make a new layer in AutoCAD and put the matchline on it.....I know thats not the answer you were hoping for!

dbaldacchino
2007-06-30, 04:45 PM
This thread is old....using RAC/RST 2008, now you have a matchline tool and you don't need to use a gridline anymore.